Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I tile over a glass splashback?

TraceS
Finding My Feet

Can I tile over a glass splashback?

Hi everyone, just after some advice.  I have a 10 yr old house that Im updating.  The kitchen has a lime green glass splashback that was in fashion once?  I have heard to remove it is expensive so wondering if I can tile over the top ( also been told you cant unless you use bigger tiles like floor tiles and use silicon to stick them on?)  Im looking more at using basic sized tiles with a subway design.  Any suggestions? Thanks Trace

Re: Can I tile over a glass splashback?

Thanks mate @TheSaltyreefer 

@gippslandhome  Your advice is awesome, without folk like yourself and this site, we the layperson would have to find the money to pay so called professionals.  Get ripped of walk on and treated like we are total idiots all of which I as a woman have been treated like while trying to get small jobs completed.

When I first moved into the home I live in now, I tried to get my floors tiled.  I had 4 tilers come and give me quotes, but all pulled out after they had been offered bigger jobs.  Crushed me and I couldn't get a tiler for at least 4 months, if I'd have been physically able I would have had a go at tiling myself.  But I was as they say stuck between a rock and a hard place.  So I went with the 1st company I could and got plank vinyl laid, which I am happy with.

BUT and sadly but it is.  In a town such as I live DUBBO NSW. trades people have a lot of big jobs offered because of development and they can afford to be picky and choosy with what work they do along with what prices they charge.  That is why a great many of us try to save money or get jobs done faster, hence doing it them selves such as myself.  Not always the way I wish it was but I have a go.  I am probably more than likely my own worst critic when it comes to work I do or have done.  I have learned in my years of having a go that I really enjoy having a go a making the changes to my home that I have and will continue to do thanks to the advice from some of the great folks on here.

Cheers

Old gal

Hi Rob

Thank you so much because I'm quite nervous about this I'm not a home renovator but I have to change this so do you know any tilers who are experienced in doing this kind of tiling?  If so could you kindly send me their contact details please?

Regards Michelle

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michelle (@M1Qu1n

I was sorry to just notice that you never received an answer to this question. Typically we would refer people to a service like Hipages or Airtasker to find local tradespeople in their area. As our forum covers all of Australia and New Zealand it is unlikely members will be able to recommend someone near you. 

Have you made progress with your project? We'd certainly be happy to assist with anything you need. 

Apologies again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jason

I’ve had it done by a professional and it’s great.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fantastic, thanks for letting us know Michelle (@M1Qu1n). If you get a chance to share some photos of the end result, I'm sure our community members would love to see it. Can you tile over an existing splashback is a question that regularly pops up on Workshop.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects