Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you add extensions to dishwasher inlet and outlet hoses?

ddvgel
Finding My Feet

Can you add extensions to dishwasher inlet and outlet hoses?

Hi,

I have 1.6 m inlet and 1.9 m outlet hoses, to reach the water supply and drainage, I need to buy another 2 m outlet hoses and I have got two 1.3 m inlet hoses, will the inlet and outlet hoses too long for the performance of the dishwasher after the extension? the total of inlet and outlet hoses will be 4.1m and 3.9m.

thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: extension for dishwasher inlet and outlet hoses

Hello @ddvgel 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your dishwasher.

Can you please tell us the make and model of your dishwasher. One effective way to get information about your dishwasher is to call the manufacturer. However, from my experience there should be no issue with the water inlet as it is water going towards your machine at pressure. 

However, the exit pipe is operated by a small pump and if the pipe is too long it might not be able to manage. As soon as you provide us with the make and model, we'll be able to get more information.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ddvgel
Finding My Feet

Re: Can you add extensions to dishwasher inlet and outlet hoses?

Hi Eric, it is an old model (don't know the model no) of Bosch.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you add extensions to dishwasher inlet and outlet hoses?

Hi @ddvgel,

Manufacturers provide guidance on their supplied hoses and recommended connection methods. Extending their outlet hose risks damaging the motor, which needs to pump more water over a longer distance. Whether the motor can push the wastewater the additional distance is unknown. 

You'd want to avoid raising the hose to a certain height at the end of the 3.9m length. If the hose simply runs from the machine, along the floor, and then into a floor-level waste, that shouldn't be an issue. If you can describe what the hose does after it leaves the machine, including any height changes, that would give us a better idea of what stresses will be placed on the motor. Inevitably, though, we will not be able to definitively advise on whether the additional hose length will cause damage to the machine. The manufacturer would advise using only the supplied hoses with the machine.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Eric, I am thinking buying a brand new Bosch series 6 model  sms6hai02a, instead of using an old model.

I still need hoses to be extended to around 4 m long for both inlet/outlet.

the high will raised to 0.7m from the ground to barb gradually. do you see any issue?

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ddvgel,

That's a question best posed to the retailer you'll be purchasing the Bosch dishwasher from or to Bosch themselves. As Bunnings doesn't stock items from Bosch Home Appliances, I am not familiar with the specifications of their units.

Mitchell

no worries, thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects