Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ceiling paint flaking in kitchen

Paul5
Finding My Feet

Ceiling paint flaking in kitchen

Hello,

Our house was built in the fifties.we moved in about three years ago.I painted the ceiling using Dulux low sheen.I had to paint it three times.open plan dining and kitchen. However, there is some flaking paint in the ceiling in the kitchen area. I have seen A video where the bloke,removes the peeling paint with a scraper, then applies an aquablock,Crommelian, two coats.then a joint compound, sand, wipe away dust, Then a coat of British Paints, primer and paint.how does this sound?

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: ceiling paint flaking in kitchen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Paul5. It’s great to have you join us, and thanks for the question.

Let me tag @Prawns and @MitchellMc who may be able to offer advice. @Peggers has created this wonderful step-by-step guide on How to paint like a professional that could also come in handy as you plan out this project.

Look forward to seeing more of your projects around the house and garden.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: ceiling paint flaking in kitchen

It's fantastic to have you join us @Paul5.

If there are any active moisture issues, then the AquaBlock would help prevent penetration through the ceiling paint. However, if there are active leaks, I would encourage you to have them fixed first. Alternatively, if this is old damage and the leaks have been fixed, then a product like Rust-Oleum Zinsser 3.78L CoverStain Primer Sealer Stain Killer would perform equally well.

The method you have described sounds workable and will likely solve your issues.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Mitchell

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Re: Ceiling paint flaking in kitchen

From what Ive heard - in wet areas your better off using a semi gloss (matt paints are generally more pourous) but with semi gloss it tends to show alot more imperfections and dents etc on the surface its painted on. Be interested to hear the thoughts from a proper painter on this?

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Paul5 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. Because you mentioned your house was built in the 50's I strongly recommend we do an asbestos test before proceeding any further in your kitchen ceiling painting. There may be other reasons your kitchen ceiling is peeling other than rain damage. I do not wish to sound like an alarmist but it is better to be safe in these instances. The kit is readily available at any Bunnings store.  Some houses all the way up to 1987 used asbestos as their ceiling covers for fire protection. Once you've confirmed from the test that your ceiling is safe you can then proceed to remove the paint flakes and follow @MitchellMc's recommendation on repainting your ceiling. I totally agree with Mitchell on finding out if there a active leaks in your roof and is finding its way to your ceiling. Having repainted my shower ceiling I can vouch for AquaBlock it is an amazing product and will give you years of protection. Using these primers should be more than enough to seal the deal and a good quality ceiling paint should give you a nice uniform finish.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

I had this same issue. Very extensive flaking. I scraped back all the loose stuff, patched where it was uneven then rolled on a mix of Bondcrete (like a glue in a bottle) & water. When dry I put a sealer over the top then painted with a good quality ceiling white. Two years later and no more flaking.

stelz
Making a Splash

Hi,

Just recently did my bathroom ceiling the paint was flaking off.

I scraped the whole paint off,  to bare board.

then I  use AquaBlocjk (Best thing I have ever discovered). Even any patched  with multi- purpose joint compound 

Then I painted with Dulux wash and wear 

PXL_20210409_032202268.jpgPXL_20210408_014044519.jpgPXL_20210418_050031532.jpgi

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great job @stelz, looks perfect. 

Many thanks for sharing.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for your feedback on Crommelin AquaBlock @stelz. It's always great to hear from someone that has used it before, and it certainly sounds like you are very impressed with the results. Your ceiling looks amazing. Well done.

Mitchell

Hello,

yes I agree, the Aquablock is an amazing product.

ok, community ,I have two other projects.

The tiles in our laundry need freshening up.I used renovating paint on the wall tiles, and the outcome is really good.However, the floor tiles need to be renewed. Can I use the same paint on the floor tiles, although I would prefer a gloss sheen?

The second project is what to do with our outdoor pavers. They are the sandstone, rough surface types.We have them at the front entrance with steps, and out the back in our courtyard. I figured the cheapest way is to paint them.What is the best product to use?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects