Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Clear PVC door curtain

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Clear PVC door curtain

We have a butlers pantry/laundry off our kitchen. Our kitchen only has a non-opening bench top window and it can get pretty hot and stuffy and we get stuck with kitchen smells because our range hood is totally useless. Thats the next project I'll share. So, my wife ends up leaving the pantry/laundry door to the backyard open for fresh air but of course fly's etc make their way in.

I came across the range of magnetic door screen curtains, most of which have set door widths. And of course my door is a non-standard narrower width. I came across the Zone Hardware one with translucent PVC strips fixed to metal rod. This allowed me to trim the rod and loose a strip for an almost made to measure fit, I fitted a magnetic door holder as well to stop the door from slamming on windier days.

The weight of the PVC strips are ideal that they don't flap about in light wind and easy to work in/out from. Length of the strips were perfect for a standard door opening. Easy to clean with some spray and wipe.

Now we get fresh air with no bugs and have a very happy wife. Best $33 and 1hr spent on this DIY project 

Steps

Step 1

Measured and cut the header metal strip to length with a hacksaw at each end to make the fitment central to my door opening as I had to remove one strip.

Drilled additional opening holes in the metal strip and then pilot ones in to the top of the door frame. I used my own metal screws to fix the curtain as my door is aluminium. 

I predrilled the holes and again used metal screws for the door and timber ones for the wall mounting of the magnetic door holder. I didn't use the supplied screws as they were to soft even for the wood.

Step 2

IMG_5050.JPGIMG_5242.JPGIMG_5241.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Clear PVC door curtain

Great project @Nailbag! You've just about convinced me that I need to install one of these. It would give my kids access to the yard whilst keeping those pesky blowflies out.

Well done and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Clear PVC door curtain

Our dog loves it too now she has discovered she can help herself to walking in and out . . . . .

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects