Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY kitchen splashback

homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

DIY kitchen splashback

We used James Hardie Axon Cladding to create a vertical panelled-look to complement the shaker style cabinetry.

We wrapped the Axon Cladding around the walls of the kitchen and capped the end panel behind the coffee station with a White Aluminium Tile Trim.

The cladding required around 5 coats (yes, 5!) of Taubmans Professional White Gloss Water Based Enamel Paint.

We painted the panelled grooves and edges wish a brush and used a foam roller to roll on the enamel paint. The foam roller helps to create a smoother finish and avoids leaving any brush stroke marks.

We then siliconed all the edges that meet the top cabinets and benchtop using Selleys Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant.

Food splatters, oil and liquids wipe straight off the enamel surface and after 9 months of use, the splashback is still as white and clean as the day we finished this DIY project! 

IMG_1950-2 2 copy.PNGIMG_0726.png

Painting the backsplash in Taubmans Professional White Gloss Water Based Enamel PaintPainting the backsplash in Taubmans Professional White Gloss Water Based Enamel PaintBacksplash panel before siliconing the jointsBacksplash panel before siliconing the jointsFinished backsplash behind the coffee stationFinished backsplash behind the coffee station

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY kitchen splashback

A very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @homeinmelbourne. We're absolutely thrilled to have you join us and dive straight in and share so many wonderful projects with the community. We're sure they will be very popular, especially with such terrific photos and plenty of detail on the tools and materials used and the steps you took.

Please don't hesitate to reach out anytime you need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you. 

We're so looking forward to reading more about all your projects and plans for the home and garden. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share. We certainly encourage you to have a good look around the site - you'll find we have clever and creative members just like you who are sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @Jason for the warm welcome.

I wish I had known about the Bunnings Workshop community earlier! It's great to see all the creative projects other members are working on. I'm looking forward to using this platform to share our D.I.Y. projects and learning so much from other members' projects too.

Hey @homeinmelbourne , 

Just wondering how this is still holding up? Our kitchen is currently being installed and we'd love to have something similar (tiles are so everyone else does them :P), as getting a 3800x800mm length of acrylic as a splash back is proving difficult. 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Remarka6le

Let me tag @homeinmelbourne to make them aware of your question. It would be good to get another update as to the current condition of the cladding. I agree that it is quite difficult finding a splashback that is 3800mm long with no break. If you're thinking of using the James Hardie Axon Cladding, please make sure to post an update. I'm sure our members would be keen to see it being installed.

Eric

Hi @Remarka6le @EricL ,

Here's an update of how it is holding up after almost 1 year. Photo taken this morning:

IMG_3739-2.png

The splashback still looks the same as the day we installed it.

Maintenance and upkeep is minimal. All we do is wipe up any oil or sauce splatters straight after cooking with a wet sponge (water or ajax spray). Due to the glossy surface, everything wipes straight off with just one swipe. 🙂

Still looks as amazing as the day it was installed @homeinmelbourne!

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

Awesome stuff @homeinmelbourne , cheers for the update, it's certainly looking like we'll be going in that direction. Is there any issue (or would the community know of any issue) regarding cladding like this around a wet area (sink). It's probably the only thing holding us back atm. 

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects