Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY shaker cabinets in kitchen

Carlyayling
Just Starting Out

DIY shaker cabinets in kitchen

Hi all. I've been reading lots of blogs about adding ply or MDF trim to existing kitchen cabinets to turn flat doors into shaker doors. I'm worried though that adding trim will make the doors "thicker" and they won't be able to be opened, as they are all right next to each other. Any experience here? 

Bundaboy
Having an Impact

Re: DIY shaker cabinets in kitchen

Yes, here is a picture of a prototype I did to see if I liked it (I happened to have a spare door from the original kitchen build):

IMG_20191013_164319.jpg

Alas, it also proved you are correct in that the extra thickness will cause fouling. However I was able to prevent the fouling by adjusting the hinge, this depends on your particular hinge, but if you want to try it simply clamp a small piece of the proposed trim, say, in the bottom left hand corner of a door that swings out to the left, or to the bottom right of the door if it swings out to the right - that will give you an idea by how much the trim fouls the adjacent door, then adjust the hinges to suit (on mine that is the adjustment screw nearest you). If that looks like preventing the fouling, than hold another small piece of the trim on the adjacent door and adjust again to suit. Alas this does change the spacing between doors which may or may not be acceptable.

In truth this technique appears to be most suited to framed cabinets, and I assume yours are European style non framed. Cheers.

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Carlyayling - no experience, just wondering if this now a fashion? Because I’m not a slave to cleaning, and all those horizontal ledges are going to collect dirt/grease like crazy 😱, cheers Deb

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Carlyayling,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We have loads of clever and creative members sharing fantastic advice, information and inspiration every day. 

Great to see you've already got a very helpful reply to this question from @Bundaboy. Let me also tag experienced renovator @ProjectPete who might like to add his thoughts. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

LOL, Yes I suppose you could describe it as a "newish" "fashion" having appeared around the mid to late 1700s.

@Mathy Whilst you make a good point, there are approximately 9,743 horizontal surfaces in my kitchen and surrounds and I doubt few more would be a great burden.

Frame and panel doors are actually the norm in countries that are allowed (economically) to have real wood (be it solid or ply) in their furniture, and it is not limited by any means to "Shaker" style which is a minimalist furniture (and architecture) style favoured by the followers of the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearance, more commonly known as the "Shaking Quakers" because of their "ecstatic behaviour during worship services".

The "fashion" is still quite popular in the US, especially amongst the woodworking and DIY community.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects