Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you need a window above a sink in your kitchen

bellachalfe
Just Starting Out

Do you need a window above a sink in your kitchen

i want to know if i need a window in my kitchen above my sink 

Walter

Re: Do you need a window above a sink in your kitchen

Hey @bellachalfe  welcome to the community.

It's not legally required, but two of the reasons I think it's mostly done that way:

1: shortest distance for drainage pipes (because it's an outside wall)

2: it's nice to see something when you are doing the dishes, or preparing meals (I have a designed cutting board that fits perfectly over the sink -and it "locks in"- so I can use it for extra preparation room).

I guess modern kitchens with automatic dishwashers could get by without a window if you aren't using the sink.

I'm sure you will get lots of other ideas from other posters too. 😁

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bellachalfe. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. 

Are you planning a kitchen renovation or a new build? It would be great to have a bit more context behind your question so our members can assist you. I'm sure our resident kitchen design expert @redracer01 in particular would be more than happy to help if he knew what you were planning. 

Thanks for joining in the discussion. Please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop even more useful for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @bellachalfe 

One of the main reasons we put windows in our kitchen is to allow light to come in. Having a view is a bonus. Natural light provides illumination and provides excellent ambiance to an otherwise dark or gloomy kitchen. Artificial light can never compare to natural light. It also allows ventilation, windows are great at providing an exit to odors and allows fresh air to enter your kitchen. The last reason is it allows you to view people coming in or out. I would have a sit down and have a think about how big a window you would want to put in. For me I would go as big as possible, the bigger the window the more light comes in and makes your kitchen more inviting. This issue is best discussed with Cheese cake! Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

No you dont. Lots of newer houses have island benches with sinks in them facing a dining area. Plumbing going through the floor. This allows interaction with guests, others while working in the kitchen. JDE

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects