Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Farmhouse sliding barn door

Natalya
Building a Reputation

Farmhouse sliding barn door

I’ve always wanted to have a sliding farmhouse door and the entrance to the pantry seemed the perfect place for it. 
I bought an old door at the salvage yard and used some distressing paint techniques to make it what I wanted! 

Materials

Old farmhouse type door for added character, although you can build your own

Chalk paint in serenity blue

Water based white and black paint 

Elmers glue

Scrap wood for any repairs

Sliding door rollers and hardware (and screws or nails and wood glue if needed)

Tools

Paintbrushes 

Sander

Sandpaper

Screwdriver / Chisel 

Cordless drill

Steps

Step 1

Sand door roughly.

Step 2

Repair or replace any boards that are unsafe. (I had to add a board to the bottom of my door as al the boards were uneven and broken so would be unsafe for dogs or children playing on the floor—look the the photo and the bottom second board was added on)

Step 3

Before painting, coat some of the areas in a thick coat of Elmer’s glue. This makes the paint crackle when it dries and it looks amazing! 

Step 4

Then paint a base colour roughly, not evenly covered. I used the chalk paint for this. Once dry, over the top randomly use the white and black to distress. Use the sandpaper to take it back to the wood or undercoat of paint and get creative distressing. Use the screwdriver and chisel to make holes and divets in the wood. 

Step 5

My door had hardware already on it (the handle and latch) but you could buy new and distress using paint too. 

Step 6

Attach door using your chosen bar door hardware!

IMG_4675.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Farmhouse sliding barn door

Your farmhouse sliding barn door is simply incredible @Natalya! The distressed paint technique you used gives it a beautiful vintage charm, and the choice of serenity blue adds the perfect touch. The salvaged door and unique distressing create a one-of-a-kind piece that truly stands out. Fantastic job!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
WayneM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Lovely work @Natalya.

Many thanks for sharing, and well done.

You've provided such helpful information that will be of great assistance to our community members.

We are interested in turning your project into a Featured Project article. Do you have any more pictures you could share?

It would also be great if you could share any other tips or lessons learned during your project that would assist others tackling a similar project. 

Many thanks,

Wayne

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
helsbren
Building a Reputation

This is great! I’ve seen the barn doors for years but I much prefer your rustic look 👏👏

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects