Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Flat pack kitchen renovation

abalonears
Building a Reputation

Flat pack kitchen renovation

The kitchen was a major undertaking but worth the mess and the pain. I will include before photos also.

Materials

• Flat pack kitchen 
  • plasterboard, plaster, insulation 
  • power cables, conduit, sand and cement 
  • screws, rawlplugs, brackets 

Tools

• impact drill
  • mitre saw
  • grinder
  • drill bits

Steps

Step 1

3.jpgfirst.jpg

Set up temporary kitchen and Demolish old kitchen 

Step 2

engage plumber to first fix kitchen and electrician to first fix electrics

Step 3

assemble flat pack kitchen 

Step 4

install kitchen cabinets 

Step 5

second fix plumbing 

Step 6

second fix electrics

Step 7

engage tiler and stone mason

Step 8

complete flooring 

Step 9

finalise kick boards 

Step 10

2.jpg1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hells Kitchen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @abalonears. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your tremendous project.

A major kitchen renovation is always a challenging but rewarding project. This kitchen renovation has undoubtedly enhanced the functionality and aesthetics of your space; that island is just amazing!

Creating a new kitchen is an exciting journey, and I'm interested to know how the final result has impacted your daily life and what you love most about your newly renovated kitchen. Also, are there any tips or tricks or things you would do differently that you could share with our members considering a similar project?

Fantastic work!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Our aim was to have the family dining at the island and adjoining dining area. The original design was a small footprint and we basically designed the kitchen to take over the room and have multiple people in the kitchen at one time, plenty of room.

advice would be to take your time and plan and have good tradespeople, I was fortunate to have great trades all local which made a great difference. I am a retired sparky and completed all electrics.

taking time assembling the kitchen is critical and very rewarding.

The stonemasons could not believe how leve the cabinets especially the island. They said it was the biggest island they had made and installed.

Thanks so much for those added tips, @abalonears, as I trust our members will appreciate them. 

What project are you planning next?

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell 

laundry is next demo completed and services first fixed.Floor tiling complete waiting on cabinets flat pack then stone mason and then second fix sink and toilet. Floating shelves near door. Currently preparing for painting before cabinets arrive.

I purchased a Wagner 5 litre sprayer for kitchen and was brilliant.

regards

Paddy

IMG_9318.jpeg

Love it @paddy! Keep us updated and please feel free to showcase your build to the community when you're done. Remember to take loads of pictures!

Reach out if you need any assistance along the way.

Mitchell

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Flat pack kitchen renovation

Hello @abalonears,

Let me also congratulate you on a terrific project - your kitchen looks amazing. Thank you for sharing details of your process.

How did you go with renovating your laundry? We'd love to see any updates and photos. 

Love your work.

Akanksha

abalonears
Building a Reputation

Re: Flat pack kitchen renovation

Hi Akanksha

thanks for your kind words.

the laundry is waiting for the stone, which will be after Christmas due to demand. Once stone is finalised including splashback I will keep you updated.

regards

Paddy

IMG_9668.jpeg

IMG_9667.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects