Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Food-safe finish to a wood platter?

Jo8
Just Starting Out

Food-safe finish to a wood platter?

Anybody know what would be a good food-safe finish to apply to wood antipasto platters? I didn't make the two I have, but they are made of raw Acacia wood.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Food-safe finish to a wood platter.

Hello @Jo8

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about what is a good food-safe finish for a wood platter.

If the platter is still raw wood with no other coating on it, I recommend any of the following: Gilly's 250ml Chopping Board Oil, Gilly's 200 ml Food Safe Wax and Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish. The oil and wax coatings will need to be periodically applied as they wear away as you use and wash the platters. But these are the safest coatings that you can apply to the wood.

The Cabot's Benchtop Sealer is like a varnish sealer and will leave a protective clear coat on top of the platter. It will be food safe once it has hardened and cured. However, I don't recommend cutting anything on that platter as it will split the seal and expose the raw timber underneath. 

Here are some fantastic tray projects our Workshop members have shared:

Let me call on our experienced members @JoeAzza and @hazesnow for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects