Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

From blank canvas to kitchen storage solution

Danny2
Cultivating a Following

From blank canvas to kitchen storage solution

FBE7C9FA-3344-4956-BC81-7AC9C4CE2805.jpeg

An empty space, some inspiration, a sketch and a trip to Bunnings #proud

BD9819B7-8CFA-4076-9F68-1CB97F53A97A.jpeg

827248D2-1C05-4CE9-BE00-A858376DA8DA.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Blank Canvas

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Danny2. It's fantastic to see you sharing your first project with us on day one. 

This is incredible and I love your use of rope. Where did the inspiration come from for this project? You've transformed a bare space into a very trendy corner of the kitchen.

It would be great to hear more about how you went about creating this so that other community members can replicate your project.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: From blank canvas to kitchen storage solution

Fantastic @Danny2, you have every right to feel proud of what you have achieved. We have featured your work on our Project Gallery so it can get the attention it deserves. It is bound to inspire plenty of Bunnings Workshop members.

We're so pleased to have you join the community and look forward to seeing what projects around the house and garden you tackle next. Also looking forward to reading more about this project as per Stevie's reply. I'm also confident that other members will want to know more so they can replicate your terrific work.

Thanks for sharing,

Jason

Danny2
Cultivating a Following

91AA17F8-504C-4223-BFFF-6B79F63ABC85.jpeg

199F482D-AD7C-4C33-B83B-F53483713966.jpeg

  

Thank you @StevieB! I knew I needed a shelf with minimal drilling into the walls and Pinterest was great for ideas.

I used SpecRite food grade timber panels and Grunt rope with a load rating of 400kg. The holes into the timber were drilled at a slightly larger diameter than the rope  - use sticky tape on the end of the rope to make it easier to thread the rope through the holes!

The great thing was the galvanised pipes were cut to length with screw ends. With that I purchased a couple of 20mm elbows and flanges to suit for the main support rod/pipe. The black hanging rod is a curtain rail with brackets to suit. I was even able to buy the hooks from Bunnings! P.s. I have a fire extinguisher and fire blanket handy but hopefully I won’t need them 😊

Danny2
Cultivating a Following

Thanks heaps @Jason for letting me share my project! It was all in the planning and detail 😊 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I absolutely love it, @Danny2! Your styling is right up my alley. I'm particularly impressed whenever I see an idea bought to reality in such detail. You couldn't have done a better job re-creating your sketch.

Many thanks for sharing the additional details, as I expect our members wishing to use your project as inspiration will find them indispensable.

Congratulations on an amazing project, and I look forward to the next one.

Mitchell

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

@Danny2  awesome, almost having completed a kitchen reno, and have been looking for some idea on an blank place I have on a wall beside my sink, so have been searching through kitchen ideas and found this... Just great... You have given me inspiration to do something a little different...  Thank you.

This old gal

Danny2
Cultivating a Following

@Old-gal24 I’m glad I could help! It’s a versatile design because it allows you to store what ever you want on the shelves. Another idea for you to consider is hanging fruit and veggie baskets fixed to rusticated timber panels. All the best 😊

Thanks @Danny2   That's a good idea.  I'm toying with making something like a tea and coffee station on the small wall beside my sink...   I've made new kitchen benchtops out of live edge river redgum and have some pretty awesome chunks of timber left that I want to use around my home... thinking shelves ?  NOT 100% at this stage, have around 900mm x 1000mm to play with.. Spotted what you created and made the old grey matter start ticking again.  Funny that I came in here tonight to get some ideas to use some old fence palings as I am hoping to have some left over after I line a wall in my family room and toying with making a coffee table as such.  Then spotted a few other folks awesome projects and the mind wanders...   

The basket idea could be good also as they could go under a shelf that stores tea and coffee making stuff, like black to make some of the black resin I have in the gaps filled on my benchtops..   My brain just doesn't stop when I see all these wonderful inspiring projects on this site.

Cheers

This old gal

'

Danny2
Cultivating a Following

@Old-gal24 Wow! I love the live edge river bench tops 👌 You’d be able to appreciate the underside finish of that beautiful wood for a shelf installed at height. I’d love to see the end result!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects