Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Halfway through the kitchen revamp

lockers
Cultivating a Following

Halfway through the kitchen revamp

So I have done the first part of our kitchen refresh.  The original kitchen had brown doors with a cream benchtop.  The photo of the front of the island looks to have brown still coming through but this is from the light.

We have had the original kitchen now for 13 years and thought we would brighten it up a bit as it was looking a bit dated.  Gas cooktop was also replaced by a Bosch Induction.  We used the Dulux Renovation range for the doors and panels as well as Zinsser undercoat.  If I had my time over again and was confident enough I would have used a spray gun rather than the roller.  As you can see from the two primers, the spray gave the better coat.  Another heads up, with the Dulux Primer you have three days from the time you mixed the hardener with the primer to get things done.  That was a bit of a rush with 22 doors plus a number of drawers I had to prime and limited room to put everything.

So finished product took 1 coat of primer, 2 x undercoat then 3 coats of paint to cover the dark coloured doors.  I will probably have to run over the cupboards with another coat as there appears to be a bit of the dark shade coming through, so perhaps 4 coats would be better. In the end I think it turned out well and has made the kitchen brighter.

Next step is the benchtops which I am planning on painting black using the Rust-oleum Benchtop kit and using the spray marble effect to add a bit extra to benchtops before sealing.

65993_486905806078_1391651_n.jpg

Steps

Step 1

Remove, sand and clean the doors and cabinets.

Step 2

Prime the surfaces with the Dulux Primer, then add the undercoat.  This was done with a roller.  

pro-TqodhOfm.jpeg

Step 3

pro-FzhED2qN.jpeg

The used the spray version of the Zinsser undercoat

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Half way through the kitchen revamp

Hi @lockers 

Thank you so much for the update, your kitchen already looks awesome with the repainted doors! I'm very keen to see what it will look like once you've painted the benchtop.

Looking forward to the next update.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Halfway through the kitchen revamp

Good afternoon @lockers 

A change is good as a holiday and after 13 years thats a good holiday :smile: Its coming up nicely I think. I just realised why you are going black with your benchtops :smile: you have a black dishwasher and fridge! :smile: It will look good next to teh white of your cupboards. Being able to repaint the kitchen doors is something I will be factoring into my kitchen for sure. I have done shiny doors before but mever thought of down the track updating it.

Nice work :smile:

Dave

lockers
Cultivating a Following

So the next thing I need to figure out is whether to paint the bench or sink first.  I am going to turn the sink black also, using etch primer and some dulux metalshield.  Just trying to figure out if I should do the sink first then the bench or vice versa 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lockers 

Since the sink is often used, I suggest doing the benchtop first and doing the sink last. However, another option is to paint the sink separately, if you've got the time to disassemble it from the benchtop. Having the sink separate will allow you to paint under the lip giving it a nice professional finish.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

lockers
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL 

Might be a better idea to remove the sink, that would also make the painting of that little sections between the sink edge and splashback a bit easier

lockers
Cultivating a Following

So have finally finished the full revamp, took @EricL advice as he hasn't done me wrong yet and removed the sink before doing the painting.  For the sink I cleaned it all up with pink Stuff, then used White King Rust card etch primer, which gave me a great surface to paint on.  Then it was a spray with Dulux Metalshield epoxy enamel in satin black.  Finally paired the new sink with a new mixer that I got from Bunnings when they did the price match with Aldi.

Next was onto the benchtop, cleaned them all down and used Shelley's knead it putty to fill a couple of spots where the laminate had been chipped off.  For the bench top I used Rustoleums Benchtop Transformation Kit, with the recommended 2 coats giving the benchtop that nice black look.  To finish things off I used Dulux Marble Effect spray paint which I thought brought everything up nicely.

During the process I found the two things that didn't work were the Scotch Blue Painters tape and the Frog Multi surface paint.  Found the only thing they would adhere to was themselves.  Along the edges of the cooktop I used a thin piece of carboard the I slid along as I painted to keep the paint of the edges.

Very happy with the results.

20230904_101736.jpg20230904_113905.jpg20230904_113302.jpg20230904_153927.jpg20230905_172450.jpg20230905_112852.jpg 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @lockers 

Stages as I scrolled through your pics....

nice....

Oh

Ohhhhhhh

then just a  straight ooooooooooo.

That really has lifted it welll and truly out of its comfort zone! Very nice work indeed. Love the amount of effort that you have gone to!

A question :smile: You have a rough idea on what it cost? That is if you want to say lol. I have all my reciepts form my Libary/garage and havnt added them up as I am scrared to! So totally understand if you havnt thought about it. 

Thats a really nice kitchen you have now!

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congrats @lockers, you've done really well.

What's next?

Jason

lockers
Cultivating a Following

@Dave-1 

Thanks, was very happy with how it turned out.  Total cost for the products except the rollers/paintbrushes and the like as I already had that was $680.  If I was confident enough and had the equipment to spray the primer on it would have cost about $90 less.  The only extra thing I bought was the mixer and that came in at $72.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects