Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help with colour selection for kitchen cabinets

fatdumpling
Finding My Feet

Help with colour selection for kitchen cabinets

Hi All, I am needing your help to select what colour would be the best for the kitchen cabinets? I do love the cabinets but not a fan that they are almost same colour as the floor, maybe a bit of contrast will be better. The room gets a lot of natural sunlight. Thanks for your kitchen.jpghelp! :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help with colour selection for kitchen cabinets

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @fatdumpling. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about getting some help with colour selection for your kitchen cabinets.

Thank you for posting a photo of your kitchen. I see what you mean when you say that your kitchen blends in with your floor. A good basic contrasting colour would be white. It reflects any ambient light in the room making it brighter. It'll provide contrast to your timber floor and is a safe neutral colour. I suggest painting the benchtop a dark grey to provide a counterpoint to all the white in the room. 

Your choices for your kitchen colour fall into several categories. You can go full contrast by going for a very dark colour on your cabinets and painting your benchtop a light colour. It will give it that new retro vibe mixing old and new. Next is a light grey colour that provides enough contrast but doesn't make it stand out. The last of course is going for current trendy colours. I've placed some sample sketches below. Please have a look and tell me what you think. It sounds like a fantastic project. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to the repainting of your kitchen.

Let me tag our experienced members @prettyliving and @lifestylebymari for their colour recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lifestylebymari
Making a Splash

Thank you for the tag @EricL

The kitchen has a beautiful cabinet profile, fresh paint will change the whole mood of the kitchen. I would recommend white, or off-white if you would like to achieve a more coastal/ brighter style. Or a darker colour for a more modern/ sleek style. 

Hope it helped and I cant wait to see how the kitchen turned out!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I also vote for white @fatdumpling.

Let me tag @2Belindas for what colour she would choose.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Hi @fatdumpling 

What beautiful kitchen! I also vote white for the cabinets. I find white kitchen always look more spacious too, plus it won’t date as quick as other colours, you can never go wrong with white. 👍🏻
If you do decide on white, can I suggest using a warm white, for example something like Antique White USA by dulux as it will compliment the wooden flooring, whereas a a cool white may throw a blue or grey tinge in certain lights that  may clash with the wood. 
Looking forward to seeing the transformation. 
Jess 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects