Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hidden pantry using cavity and mirror

Matiu
Getting Established

Hidden pantry using cavity and mirror

I’ve designed a hidden pantry using the cavity space in the wall and a framed mirror as a frontage, so you’d never know there is hidden storage for pantry items!. I’ve used a counter weight that I’ve attached under the house to make for an easy, smooth operation. 

Materials

• Upcycled mirror
  • Drawer runners from Bunnings
  • gate track wheel from Bunnings 
  • Tiles

Tools

Steps

Step 1

Firstly I cut a whole out the same size as the mirror centred in between the door and the wall.

Step 2

Boxed it out with timber that I to size 

Step 3

positioned the runners for the mirror onto the studs of the house for stability 

Step 4

added a counter weight under the house via the gate track wheel 

Step 5

Cut tiles to create shelves specifically for the containers in the photos 

Step 6

Added the tiles 

Step 7

painted a gloss trimmed 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hidden pantry using cavity and mirror

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Matiu. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your wonderful project.

Your hidden pantry project is truly impressive! Concealing the storage space behind a framed mirror is genius; I've never seen that done before. It makes me think about how much wasted space there is in wall cavities with plenty of space for nooks or hidden pantries!

I'm sure your runners and counterweight make the operation a breeze and I love the creativity and practicality of this project.

Well done!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Matiu
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell!  I’m really happy with the result and to be part of this community.  The counterweight is pretty perfect so can be easily lowered/raised with a finger fyi.😊

IMG_1148.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Matiu 

:surprised: Seriously outside the box thinking! Love it! And please tell me you have more photos of the install? :smile: 
Would love to see how you worked the counterweight out? When I saw the cover pic I thought mmm that mirror might get broken (had a fishtank sitting on theh floor once and acidently kicked something small and saw it travel all the way across and go "ting" not a good outcome) then looked closer and saw the verticle rails and thought "What the?" :smile: Love the idea and such a good way to keep space and keep things tidy!

Dave

Matiu
Getting Established

Thanks Dave!  Appreciate the feedback.  I do lots of renovating but unfortunately am pretty useless taking photos along the way.  I don’t start with much of a plan - whatever I’m working on just unravels.  The closest thing to install photos is the before shot that I’ve attached.👍🏽

IMG_1128.png

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Matiu 

:smile: Yeah that has happened to me too many times and I take a LOT of photos. Sometimes it just gets forgotten until the work is done. Thanks for the photo and still that shows what a vast improvemnet you have done! :smile: Will keep your idea in mind. Now if only I needed a safe..... :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects