Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hippy haven tiny kitchen

islandgirl
Cultivating a Following

Hippy haven tiny kitchen

A western red cedar house, located on the south coast of NSW was always going to be a challenge & the tiny kitchen was the centre of it all. With 8 mouths to feed, we needed a functional kitchen asap. So the whole diy Bunnings kitchen Reno was done by my husband & myself  in a week. From ripping out cupboards, to sanding back & white washing them, replacing shelves & benches, tiling the Lino floor and walls. Painting everything in Dulux brilliant white. No more gaps in the panelled ceiling! Replacing all the appliances & more. Oh what a job it was but we did it all! It went from dark & dingy, to bright, clean, tropical oasis kitchen wth a little breakfast nook. Very happy with the final results. 

381957D7-5D3E-437D-A6A3-FD51E3F5DAD7.jpeg

Materials used:

Benchtops - arcacia solid hardwood project panels x 2

Shelving -  galvanised plumbing pipe & connectors with specrite timber panel

Brekky Nook - arcacia solid hardwood project panel

Floor tiles & splashback - Cemento tiles in Matt for floor & lappato for walls

Paint - Zinsser was used to stop the western red cedar from bleeding through on all painted surfaces- this process began a month before demolition

Dulux brilliant white was used throughout the house

Kitchen Cupboards - An enamel was used on the whitewash cupboards & sanded back, then sprayed with a protective coat of lacquer to make cleaning easy. 
Plants - from Bunnings plant nursery 

sink & tap - Bunnings 

whitegoods - due to specific size were ordered online

stools - Bunnings 

Total spend without whitegoods was just under $1300

28CCCEB4-F328-4A34-9B5A-A5DDE10EA597.jpeg

  

566E064D-9D0F-47C8-ABF2-88D9B9CE48B0.jpeg

  

959E3ABF-5270-497C-8066-8A6EDC5AB106.jpeg

8D1DC7C4-3E98-4C57-9945-576ECAB63705.jpeg

FA9080B2-94FA-4DDC-BCE3-31C81CA2B7F5.jpeg

2F366FBC-1348-47D8-BC1C-A3661FE910AD.jpeg

425E03E2-6892-4A7B-A281-DD2C6C427B64.jpeg

1BE40545-2D92-4AD6-953F-568515C92BBB.jpeg

96FDFE1B-0C05-454D-ABE1-46705F6DDDCE.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hippy Haven Tiny Kitchen

Hello @islandgirl

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your kitchen revamp.

Wow! what a transformation, I could not believe its the same kitchen. Removing the wall units and whitewashing the entire area really made the area so much brighter. I had to take a moment to make sure I wasn't looking at a greenhouse. Your plants are wonderful and they really add a nice touch to the overall look of the kitchen. 

It's great that you kept the shelving facilities, it would have been a shame to waste all that space. What benchtops did you use for the renovation? If you had to do it all over again what would you have done differently?  

Again, thank you so much for sharing your kitchen renovation project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Hippy haven tiny kitchen

Looks fantastic @islandgirl. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm sure your project will be much-admired by other members of the Bunnings Workshop community.

We have clever and creative members sharing inspiring projects and helpful advice on the site every day. We trust you will get plenty of ideas and help for all your projects around the house and garden. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something new to share.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
islandgirl
Cultivating a Following

Thanks ericL for your feedback. We were pretty happy the overall result. Arcacia solid hardwood project panels were used for kitchen benches. It was a pretty easy & cheap Reno, as this was our little holiday house. If I had to do this again, I definitely wouldn’t have started painting the interior/exterior white. It took me 7 months solo, to paint out the western red cedar with zinsser & Dulux brilliant white. Not to mention all the no more gaps on the old panels.

islandgirl
Cultivating a Following

Thanks. It was an amazing little Reno, with huge impact and for a budget price!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects