Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I close off this void?

mfaizi
Finding My Feet

How can I close off this void?

Behind kitchen sink there was a void area which was used for, I assume plants/herbs but when kitchen was renovated it was ripped out. It seems to have the aluminium framing but i dont think simply playing fibro or wood planks wood be supportive enough considering the rough measurements are 1720x220. I was thinking of getting wooden supports from the floor and screwing down fibro cement sheets but not sure about the viability.

i would like to have planters or pots in that area. 
any suggestions??

thanks

marc

IMG_3111.jpeg

IMG_3113.jpeg

IMG_3112.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I close off this void?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mfaizi. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling a void.

I'd imagine that the aluminium frame would support the board sufficiently. However, if you wished to build a frame up from the floor, that would provide additional support.

I like the idea of creating a box-type planter with cutouts to suit your pots. I've put a rendering together for you of how I would proceed. I'd suggest you select a pot and construct the unit to suit. In this case, I've used a basic terracotta pot that looks sensational planted with herbs. I'd suggest painting the interior of the timber box with a bitumen waterproofing agent to ensure any moisture from the pots doesn't affect the timber. I still would remove the pots when you're watering them and allow them to fully drain in the sink before returning them.

I'd suggest using DAR Pine for the construction of the box and cutting the holes for your pots out with a jigsaw. The sides and top of the box can be held together with PVA glue and screws.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

W3.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much Mitchell.

I will follow through with that project. Might put a drain hole and hose to allow drainage to the outside of the house.

How do you suggest I mount the box to the aluminium framing or support from underneath?

Thanks Again Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mfaizi 

The planter box will have a bit of weight to it, and I don't think it will be necessary to permanently fix it to the aluminium frame. However, if you want to glue it on, I suggest using Selleys 130g Liquid Nails Ezi Press or similar. 

To support the planter from below, I suggest using 70 x 35mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine 2.4m cutting it to length and using it as legs under the planter box.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects