Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I repaint an interior brick floor that was previously painted in white?

Anthony11
Just Starting Out

How do I repaint an interior brick floor that was previously painted in white?

Hi, I'm just wondering how to go about repainting a brick floor that was previously painted white but has worn in some areas. Would I need to sand floor manually and would you recommend using a acrylic latex paint? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I repaint an interior brick floor that was previously painted in white?

Hi @Anthony11,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and apologies for the slow reply.

Could we please trouble you for some photos of the floor so we can see what you are working with? 

As with all paint jobs you need to be reapplying paint to a stable surface. There's no point in repainting if the current paint is flaking off - it will have to be removed first. 

I will ask our resident Bunnings D,I.Y. expert to see if he can recommend any products to use but it does sound like an usual application. Have you considering laying a floating floor instead?

Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have a new project to share with the community. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I repaint an interior brick floor that was previously painted in white?

Hi @Anthony11 

Just about any  paint on brick or cement floor will wear eventually. I was thinking more out door concrete sealer colour paint  ranges as  cars can drive on it for several years.

In any case the  floor have a build up of cleaning agents and oils so sanding back a  layer  to the original brick work will give you a good bond to the new  paint or the concrte sealers are designed to go in to the cement pores so old  paint needs to be removed.

An ordinany orbital sander with 150grit will move the  paint fast you will need a bunch of replacemnt sheets.

Here is  another option that looks great Epoxy flooring some companies  do fantastic work.

Also there is  all the  standard  floor coverings. Skys the limit .

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Anthony11 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your brick floor. @Jewelleryrescue's assessment is correct, "after a while paint on brick will eventually wear away." 

Can you please tell us where this floor is located? Is it in the garage or in the house? Unfortunately, regular paint is not going to last long as a floor cover. Garage floor paint is the way to go if you want it to last. There are alternatives to paint such as laminated flooring, vinyl flooring and hybrid flooring. 

Once we see the picture of your floor, our members will be able to assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects