Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I stop self-adhesive film from peeling off?

Joolz_1980
Just Starting Out

How do I stop self-adhesive film from peeling off?

I've added some self-adhesive film (basically contact paper) to my IKEA highchair legs to make them look like timber (instead of the steel they come with). The film keeps peeling away and doesn't seal completely. What can I do, or apply to keep it sealed. This is more of the look I'm going for. Is there some type of glue that would help with this?   T114556.614.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I stop self-adhesive film from peeling off?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Joolz_1980. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about self-adhesive film.

It sounds like the adhesive is not strong enough to function with your intended purpose. The contact paper is likely designed to be applied to flat surfaces, and the tension from the curved leg is too high. You could potentially try using a small amount of superglue to hold the edges down or perhaps try another brand, such as our Boyle 1.5m x 45cm Wood Parquet Self Adhesive Film. Alternatively, a length of clear tape along the seam might do the trick.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do I stop self-adhesive film from peeling off?

Thanks so much Mitchell - I'll try the glue option and then give the clear tape a go if that doesn't work. Appreciate your help! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects