Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I turn off my water main valve?

bonino
Getting Established

How do I turn off my water main valve?

IMG_0010.jpeg

I’m going to install a new tap in the kitchen and because I don’t have safety water valves under the sink, I’ll need to shut the main water valve. This is usually straightforward but, in my case, I’m a bit clueless as to how to shut the valve for our house. Does anyone have experience with these types of valves? How do I shut it? I’ve tried turning it, but it just won’t rotate.

Thanks in advance!

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I close my water main vale

Hi @bonino 

A.  Your water shut off valve seen better days and has partly  corroded open. We are talking about the flat blade shape just to the left of the meter.

It dosnt hurt  to spray it with wd40 for starters and  or CLR to try disolve rust and scale.

I would recommend a medium size shifting spanner (multigrips or lastly large plyiers)  and close the jaws snuggly over the top of the flat tap  handle . To turn it water off rotate the spanner and valve anti clockwise gentle at first to see if the tap moves.  Try a little harder to see if the tap moves..  Now try going clock wise. to help  break the rust seal.  Now  If you  can  tap the end of the spanner going anticlock wise again give it a few sharp taps.

The objective is to get the seal freed up from sitting in the one position all those years.

B .  If  no luck so far use a hammer/or the shifter spanner head,  lightly tap the flat valve down wards 2 or three love taps to gently try shock and break the seal.  Use a couple of love taps (short and shape with no real force) on the flats of the valve either  clock wise or anti clock wise. 

Now  repeat  steps at A.  

If your hands are not strong  at step A place a piece of pipe over the  wench handle  to increase your leverage. If you see the meter moving and twisting stop!  as plumbing  can break under  super heavy force.

I would use more force after that but I have the sense of a built in torque wrench and know when to stop using extra force before damage occurs.

Plan C I would cut a slot in a metal pipe and place it over the flat tap handle and at the top of the pipe drill a hole in it and put a large screw driver through it for a turn handle this will apply strong firm pressure and stop the tap resisting.

@EricL  Might know if bunning stocks  such a tool pre  build as they commonly are used in deeper pits where redbacks  lurk.

Well I really hope this frees up your problem and the tap indoors  might be a little tight too if they the same age simply give it the same treatment and respect.

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Hello @bonino excellent plan of attack from @Jewelleryrescue I would only like to add that the shifting spanner can be used at a right angle to the valve with a screw driver through the opening (people usually hang them by) for additional leverage in confined areas, the only caveat is this will reduce surface area receiving torque thus a larger spanner (with wider jaws) is a preference 👍

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I turn off my water main valve?

Hi @bonino,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

Fantastic to see you have received prompt and helpful advice from a couple of very experienced members.

I'd only add that you might like to invest in a registered plumber on this occasion to upgrade your mains. It's obviously really important that you can always quickly and easily turn off your water in an emergency so I think a plumber would be a good investment if you don't have any luck with the recommendations shared. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I turn off my water main valve?

Hi @bonino 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a plumber or handy person on call just in case the shut-off valve malfunctions. We often take for granted that these devices are still okay after being covered in the earth for many months. There is always the possibility of brass fatigue or accidental failure.

Please keep in mind that weekend rates are much higher and there is always a surcharge for emergency callouts. My best advice is to carefully turn the shutoff valve and not use excessive force to turn it off.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your tapware replaced.

Happy Holidays!

Red 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

bonino
Getting Established

Hey! Just to let you know this worked after I followed the previous advice of using WD-40 and CLR. After I let it soak overnight, it was still a bit stuck, but I got around closing it using a spanner and a screwdriver.

Thanks heaps!

Good Work @bonino 

Your where wise to seek help from the  workshop.

I also dont do things and  learn before I tackle new unknowns. Thats how  we grow as DIYers one skill helps tackle new skills a snowball effect.:)

Just a  last tip @bonino   now the valves working open it and close it a half dozen times just to help free up the valve. In time it will stick again but you know a solution now and if you think of it in other future plumbing repairs ask how much to replace valve as an option.  Hope you tap replacement went smoothly too. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects