Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you remove stains from the ceiling?

Den1
Finding My Feet

How do you remove stains from the ceiling?

how do you remove fly spray stains from ceiling 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you remove stains from the ceiling?

Hello @Den1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about removing stains from your ceiling.

One of the handiest tools I've used to clean my ceiling is the Sabco 2 Piece Xtra Wide Space Saving Lightning Mop. It's light and easy to use plus the quick wring handle makes squeezing the head a breeze. I suggest using hot water in a bucket some dishwashing soap and a cap full of bleach mixed well. Please make sure that your doors and windows are open in order to get good airflow. This will allow the ceiling to dry off.

I don't recommend over-soaking the ceiling in water as this might damage the ceiling paint. Your goal is to wipe the surface of the ceiling with the sponge mop and remove as much of the stain as possible. Please remember to rinse the mop head as often as possible.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Den1
Finding My Feet

Remove fly spray from the ceiling 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Den1

In order to give our members a better idea of what happened to your ceiling, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your ceiling? This will allow our members to assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Den1,

Please let me know if you need a hand uploading photos so we can see what you are working with. 

I would think that if Eric's solution above was not removing the stains, you would need to repaint the ceiling.

Thanks,

Jason

Den1
Finding My Feet

20221104_090740.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Den1

Thank you very much for posting pictures of your ceiling. Looking at your photo, it seems that the fly spray has had a chemical reaction with your ceiling paint. I'm afraid ordinary cleaning methods will not fix the issue. I recommend putting on a new coat of ceiling paint to repair the damage.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a ceiling

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects