Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How easy it is to replace kitchen splashback?

FDT79
Getting Established

How easy it is to replace kitchen splashback?

Hi, just wondering how much / how easy or hard it would be to replace a kitchen splashback. The place we're moving into has one which originally thrilled me, until I saw the colour [no colour, just a bland grey]. So I'm hoping to make it green, but not sure if I would have to replace it altogether or if it could be removed, recoloured & put back. Excuse my ignorance as I brace myself for replies I don't want to hear :smile: I live in Cairns now by the way but can't seem to find someone who can give advice on this stuff. Thanks a lot. Kitchen.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wondering how easy it is to replace kitchen splashback

Hello @FDT79

Thanks for sharing your question about your kitchen splashback. Removing your current splashback is a step by step process. It seems daunting at the beginning but you'll realize that after that first step, finishing the project becomes very achievable. 

You first need to identify what kind of splashback you have. Look carefully at the edges to see if it is glass or acrylic. Acrylic splashbacks will often have round smooth hazy edges. Glass splashbacks will be clear and sometimes finished with bevel cuts. Knocking on the surface will give you a different feel, glass has a stiffer surface than acrylic.

Removing the splashback will require you to use a chisel to lift the corners off so that you can peel the splashback off. Please wear safety gloves and goggles for this procedure. Any damage to the plasterboard will require you to plaster up the damage. Once it's been repaired you can now begin tiling your splashback.

Have a look at this featured project - How to tile a splashback by @ProjectPete

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your new kitchen splashback.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tanya10
Just Starting Out

Re: How easy it is to replace kitchen splashback?

Why don't you pick the green colour you want and paint over the tiles. No need to remove unless they are damaged.

Cheers Tanya

FDT79
Getting Established

Re: Wondering how easy it is to replace kitchen splashback

Hi Eric, 

Thanks a lot for getting back to me, I'm already learning things :smile: I probably wasn't clear, I still want to retain the glass splashback as I've always wanted one of those, I just want to change the colour, is the colour usually behind on the wall or part of the glass itself? Excuse my ignorance! Thanks again. 

FDT79
Getting Established

Hi Tanya

Thanks for responding, I guess I wouldn't mind painting the glass if you can do that, [I don't want tiles, prefer the glass look that's already there but just want a different colour]. If you can paint glass, do you know if it's easy to clean/maintain? Thanks again. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @FDT79

I do apologize for misunderstanding your request. Transparent splashbacks such as acrylic and glass are often painted from behind to protect them from getting chipped, scratched and damaged. If the splashback is painted from the front, I'm afraid the paint will get damaged in a very short time. Unfortunately, the paint will not be able to withstand detailed thorough cleaning, hot oil, hot water and cleaning chemicals you might be using to clean your benchtop.

Putting another splashback on top of the old one is possible but presents its own set of limitations. The grey colour might rise through the new splashback, as in a very light shade of grey will be present visually. Glue lines may be visible as you are putting together two non-porous substances. These are some of the things that could happen if the old splashback is not removed.

I'm afraid there's no effective way to paint the splashback without the paint peeling off. If you're really keen on that green splashback, I recommend removing the old splashback so that there will be no surprises when it comes time to install the new splashback.

Let me tag our experienced members @prettyliving and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Tanya10 

Welcome to the Bunning Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Thank you so much for sharing that idea. I originally thought the same thing and later realized that they only want to change the colour of the splashback to green by painting over the splashback. Unfortunately, I had explain to them this idea was not viable for glass splashbacks. Have you painted tiles in a part of your house? 

If you have any D.I.Y projects on the go in the home or garden, please don't hesitate to share them.

Eric

FDT79
Getting Established

Thanks Eric, so it sounds like I have to remove the current glass & replace it altogether if I want to change the grey splashback to green. I'll brave some quotes on this I guess as it sounds like the colour is actually behind the glass, on the wall? Either way it sounds like it'll be a project! Thanks again

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @FDT79

Just a friendly reminder before you call or visit the store for a quote. Please make sure to bring the measurements of all the splashbacks. In this manner, the In-Store Kitchen Expert will be able to calculate your splashback quote. Please make sure to ask how long the turnaround time is so that you'll know how long it will take from the time that you order it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects