Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to best manage kitchen exhaust?

drlgnrl
Just Starting Out

How to best manage kitchen exhaust?

Looking for some guidance. We're doing the lockdown renovation and have reached the kitchen. 

What we're struggling with is a rangehood solution - the stove is recessed into an existing fireplace/chimney arrangement and we'd *like* to be able to install some variety of flush mounted exhaust solution under the existing mantle. 

We've stripped out and built up the original face to afford the minimum clearance above the cooktop, but are really struggling to find either:

- Rangehood with rear mounted exhaust

- Some type of inline/roof ducted system we can mount off with a custom stainless canopy/filter

Anyone done anything similar? Recommendations?

Opening dimensions 1200mm (W) x 450mm (D)Current setupCurrent setup

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to best manage kitchen exhaust?

Hello @drlgnrl

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to best manage your kitchen exhaust.

This type of retrofit can be accomplished. I've listed below three range hoods that could work in your situation. The condition for these units to work is that there must be adequate vertical space for the motor housing to fit into the chimney.

However, even in such cramp conditions, you can create a timber cover for the front of your rangehood. I suggest using the Pacific Air Rangehood Ducting System. You can combine the ducting system to achieve your preferred exhaust layout. I recommend using steel or aluminum channels to create the frame from which to mount your rangehood. 

Would it be possible for you to post the top internal space of the chimney? This will give us a much better idea of what we can fit inside the space above your cooktop. Can you also post a sketch of how you wish the ducting to be laid out? 

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the measurements.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects