Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a kitchen island from scratch?

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

How to build a kitchen island from scratch?

Hi All,

I am looking for ideas to build my own kitchen island from scratch. I passed out after getting a quote for a new island which was almost twice the amount I paid for my last car, and I do not see the value in that. I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for good value.

There is going to be one LG front loading washing machine at one end, a dishwasher at the other end, and maybe a cupboard or drawers in the middle, which is also where the plumbing and electricals will park. The plumbing is going to come up through the floor and be attached directly to the island back panel.

The dimensions required are:

• Entire island 2,420mm long,
  • Countertop 1000mm wide,
  • 300mm countertop overhang for stools
  • 700mm island carcass cavity to accommodate the washing machine and dishwasher
  • ~920mm high.

I have this picture in my head of 6 laminated panels being screwed together to form the island, being 1x top, 2x ends, 1x back panel, 2x inserts the same dimensions as the ends within the cavity to separate each compartment.

Is this doable? All white, basic, clean, and strong. Can't be that hard, can it? :laugh:

Cheers,

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen Island From Scratch

Completely doable @BoeingFan! Do you want to build this from scratch, or are you looking at pre-fab items and you assemble them? 

I'm not sure how much your first car cost, but here's what you've described in the Kaboodle range, ready for you to put together. That's quite a large island, so the cost seems quite reasonable. You'll notice the bench is a large part of the cost. If you laminated two of these 2400 x 900 x 33mm Hardwood Laminated Panels together and cut them to size instead, that would save you a considerable cost.

Let me know what you think.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into your reply, I appreciate it. My car cost $3k, yes it is a 1999 Camry but it goes like you know what off a shiny shovel and is very reliable.

To answer your questions about going from scratch or pre-fab; I guess when I say from scratch I mean getting some wood panels already close to size and joining/cutting/screwing them together to build a decent carcass, and even so for the top. It doesn't matter one iota if this isn't my forever island, and in fact I would feel far more comfortable with something a little more rustic so that I can make changes anytime. Right now, the priority is to build something to house the washing machine and dishwasher, so that the plumber can come back and bring the waste and pipework through the floor and attach it to the island, and the same goes for the sparky. I am happy for the centre to be open until I work out if cupboards or draws or a combination of the two are what I'd prefer. Pragmatically, I think a cupboard would need to go where the plumbing and wiring attach for easy access.

Now, the possibility to join the hardwood laminated panels has got me intrigued. Those 2400*900*33 panels don't get much good feedback, sadly, otherwise I'm thinking that would be the way to go. If I got 5 of those, 2 joined would work for the top, 1 for the back panel, 1 cut up for the 2 ends, and 1 for the internal walls. If the top sits on the ends and internal walls, if I'm not mistaken, the height would be 933mm? That's great.

@MitchellMcwhat about this: 2100 x 900 x 30mm Clear Pine FJ Laminated Panel ? Although it's a tad shorter, I can work with that, but is it strong enough for the gig?

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated as always.

Jason

From a "getting it ready for the plumber" point of view @BoeingFan, you could place your dishwasher and washing machine in the correct position and use any temporary benchtop placed on top and spaced up to the 920mm mark. That clear Pine panel is perfectly acceptable too. From a longevity point of view, the Pine will be softer than a hardwood panel, but that's just something to keep in mind when placing objects on it.

Something to remember with any of these joined/laminated panels is that you must acclimate them before cutting, or they will bow. There are instructions on the packaging. I experienced this myself when I eagerly bought them home, cut them all up and left them in my shed overnight; the next day, they were all like bananas. Subsequently, I replaced the boards and followed the instructions. The next lot didn't bow at all.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc , this sounds like the starting point I was hoping to get to. The great news about building it myself is that I can upgrade or change anything at anytime. The great thing about having a timber top instead of a stone top is that I can work with it myself and make other items out of it down the track, or just burn it.

If I was to paint these panels in a white, would using the Dulux One Step Prep and Dulux Aquanamel do the trick, or would you suggest something else?

Cheers, and thanks,

Jason

Aquanamel would be suitable for all the lower timber @BoeingFan. Were you thinking of painting the benchtop as well?

Mitchell

@MitchellMc I would like to either stain and lacquer it, or paint it. I think stain and lacquer would be a nicer way to go, but painting it could also work given that it will be installed alongside the Practa Modula Kitchen I'm about to install as well.

Cheers,

Jason

For the benchtop, I'd recommend some type of hard coating like Feast Watson 1m² Glass Finish @BoeingFan. Or the next step down would be Cabot's Cabothane. Depending on whether you go for a stain or paint, you'll just need to check the compatibility of these products over them.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc , I appreciate that!

May I also ask, please, what screws or fasteners would you recommend to bolt the island together if I use the 2100 x 900 x 30mm Clear Pine FJ Laminated Panel all around? I just bought a box of 1,000 Macsim 10G 10x50mm decking screws; would they work?

Cheers,

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BoeingFan 

If you are after a nice finish where the screw fixings are hidden, I suggest having a look at using a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig 320 in combination with the Kreg 1-1/4" 32mm Coarse Thread Pocket Screws - 100 Pack. Please remember to test the screw length on your timber top before you commit to fixing it in place. I've placed a video guide below to show you how it's done. 

Please do not use the decking screws on your benchtop.

Here is a handy guide to determine proper Kreg screw length: 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects