Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a standalone kitchen bench with cupboards?

lhall
Getting Established

How to build a standalone kitchen bench with cupboards?

I want to build a standalone kitchen cupboard. It needs to be on wheels. it measurements are: 84 cm H x 74cm L x 60cm D. I want  a nice timber top on it. The measurements are to fill a space in our kitchen. I woulld like to have two doors on the front and probably 2 shelves inside. Would you by any chance have a plan i could use.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: kitchen bench. As we are renting it has to be a standalone cupboard

Hi @lhall,

I trust our helpful members will be able to assist you with your project. I've put together a sketch including dimensions if you were to use 16mm melamine board. Did you want to cut all the pieces up yourself or have our team do it in-store? Was the benchtop included in the dimensions, and did you want it to overhang? Were the wheels included in the overall height?

I look forward to following along and assisting with your project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build a standalone kitchen bench with cupboards?

Hello @lhall 

Welcome to Bunnings Wroskhop! @MitchellMc 's recommendations are spot on. Are the wheels for the cabinet included in the measurements you gave us? Is the bench top thickness included? Do you intend to put bracing timber for the wheels? How much weight will it carry? Is it to be moved often?

The standard bench top depth from front to back is 600mm you have indicated that is the depth of your cabinet. It is not wrong but it will make the cabinet plus the bench top joined together look boxy. I suggest reducing the size of your cabinet by 20mm and have a cabinet that is 580 in depth with doors included. That way it will look like a regular kitchen cabinet when placed right next to your other kitchen cabinets. Unless of course your cabinets are actually 600mm deep and your bench top is 620mm which will make it a little more challenging and perhaps a little bit more costlier. I've included my ideas below but please adjust the measurements to suit your needs and allowable space. If there is anything else we can help with your diy, please post it here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red

ihall cab wheels1.jpgihall cab wheels2.jpgihall cab wheels3.jpgihall cab wheels4.jpgihall cab wheels5.jpgihall cab wheels6.jpgThese are suggested sizes only.These are suggested sizes only.Screenshot_2021-05-31 Move It 75mm PVC Castor - 4 Pack.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

lhall
Getting Established

Hi Red

Firstly, thank you very much for the work you have done and also your swift reply. I am afraid that we have changed a few things: We would like to have 3 draws instead of shelves. We believe they would be more practical. Also my daughter pointed out that we have a powerpoint in the area which we cannot move. (please see attached photos) so we will have to shorten the width of the cabinet to 61cm. The height of the cabinet will have to be 89cm and will have to include the wheels and the bench top. . I am sorry for the changes, that is the problem being 80. I also would like to ask if it would be possible to be given a quote for the materials and cutting to size. I value your opinions , so anything you would suggest would be appreciated.

Kind Regards.  Les Hall

Kitchen space 2Kitchen space 2Kitchen space 2Kitchen space 2

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @lhall 

In this particular situation I recommend using a pre-built cabinet with the drawers already made. The Kaboodle 600mm 3 drawer cabinet is perfect for this situation. It's height is at 720mm without the legs from top to bottom of cabinet. So even if you put in a 20mm timber brace at the bottom of the cabinet for the wheels, plus the height of the wheels at 75mm it will still have enough room to adjust to reach the 900mm height of the current bench top. Now that I have seen your cabinetry I believe it is at standard measurements. Please note that the cabinet plus the drawer fronts will be equal to 580mm standard, that is front to back. So a standard 600mm bench top once placed on top will have an overhang of 20mm at the front. making it look like exactly the same as your current cabinets. You may have to go to the store and choose a drawer front colour that is close to what you currently have. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please post it here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2021-06-01 Kaboodle 600mm 3 Drawer Base Kitchen Cabinet.pngYou will need 1 pair for each drawer.You will need 1 pair for each drawer.This is the basic gloss white drawer front.This is the basic gloss white drawer front.product_imagerykaboodle-diy-kitchens-600mm-3-drawer-base-cabinet.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects