Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an oven box to fit a wall oven?

CBML
Just Starting Out

How to build an oven box to fit a wall oven?

We recently bought a new oven to replace the one that was installed prior to us buying the house. When the electrician removed the old oven, we found that there was no timber lining the oven, just a massive hole in the wall! 

We need a box to line the wall cavity, for the new oven to sit in. We have been unable to find anyone willing to take on the job at this time of year as it is either too small or everyone has too much work on already. We want to try and do it ourselves, as need it done before Christmas, but we are DIY novices so it seems a bit daunting. 

thumbnail_received_4583161761763393.jpgreceived_590341982246847.jpeg

The electrician will come back to install the oven, we just need to build a box to line the space. Has anyone taken on this project before and can give any advice? Type of wood to use for example! I have read some online guides that just say make sure your wood will stand up to the heat of the oven - how will I know this without some risky trial and error? 

The dimensions of the hole are 64 x 96 x 73 cm 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build an oven box to fit a wall oven

Hello @CBML

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to build an oven box to fit into your wall oven.

The good news is that you can build a compliant oven box into the space you have. I suggest building a basic timber frame from 70 x 35mm MGP10 UT Pine Timber Framing - Linear Metre for the oven box to sit on. I recommend using a Kaboodle 600mm Oven Base Cabinet to house your new oven. You will also need Kaboodle 600mm Gloss White Oven Front Panels - 2 Pack to cover the gaps in front of the oven base cabinet. You can use Kaboodle 2400mm Kickboard - Gloss White to fill in the gaps at the side of the oven cabinet and a CustomPine 1200 x 295 x 16mm White Melamine Board to cover the top gap.

I've made some basic sketches below for you to have a look at. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects