Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change a kitchen mixer tap?

richie
Getting Established

How to change a kitchen mixer tap?

Hello everyone

I'm looking to change my existing kitchen mixer with a new goose neck style mixer.  I've seen a few videos on replacing the tap and it appears fairly straight forward.   One thing that is different to the videos I've seen is my existing connection a copper pipe versus the flexible water hoses in the videos and that comes with the new tap, plus additional connections to the isolation valve.   The existing isolation valves show in the picture don't seem to work as when closed water still flows, thus I'll have to isolate at the main point into the house.    

My question is, which part will the new hoses (pictured) connect to given there are few nuts that are coming from the isolation valves?  I'm assuming they are male-female connectors, but before I attempt anything (and potentially be without a working kitchen tap)  i thought safest to ask.

Appreciate any tips or advice!

IMG_8847.jpgIMG_8848.jpgIMG_8849.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to change a kitchen mixer tap?

Hi @richie,

If you haven't already, find out whether a licensed plumber is required for a tap replacement in your location. Regulations differ between states. In most areas, you can change a shower head or a washer in a tap, but replacing a tap could call for a plumber. Another reason to contact a plumber is that you have an earth contact on your copper supply pipe and that will need to be dealt with.

Typically the female threaded nut on the flexi hose would connect directly to the threaded male section of the mini cistern cock. From your image, it appears that all the copper fittings would need to be removed from the mini cistern cocks to attach the flexi hoses.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects