Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean a porcelain sink?

Cozzy70
Just Starting Out

How to clean a porcelain sink?

6B32976F-5242-41BC-B1E6-4204E05AED8F.jpeg

This is the kitchen sink at my parents rental house. My mother would like some advice on what she could use to clean the sink and make it whiter?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to clean a porcelain sink?

Hi @Cozzy70 

There are several things you  can try here but the aim is not to harm the sink  with abrasive steel wool type items   A standard plastic kitchen scourer should be ok.

It really comes down to what caused the discoloration in the first place which is not necessary to know.

Try several home remedy items first as the ingredients will be in your home.

So try these solutions wearing  gloves

General  cleaning and mold  Use white  vinegar. 100 ml  as a guide and some baking soda in small bowl to polish out fine scratches this will bubble while you work this is normal and good. add some more baking soda if it isnt bubbling (this is a good final polish after stain gone)

Rust and Iron stains,  Use borax, lemon juice  together in small bowl  sponge. ( Modern product is CLR "calcium lime rust remover at supermarket") borax

Hair color stain removal.  Use rubbing alcohol (chemist shop),  Nail polish remover, magic  eraser (white plastic pencil eraser) try each item separatly at a time start with magic eraser if you have one on dry sink

Hope this helps  others may have better solutions and or modern  cleaners.

Hello @Cozzy70

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at CLR 750ml Bathroom And Kitchen Cleaner. This is a non-abrasive cleaner and will remove calcium and lime deposits, limescale, soap scum, dirt, and discolouration.

It is difficult to tell if the sink is enamel lined or ceramic-lined, but the surface has certainly lost its lustre. If you run your hand over the surface, does it feel rough and gritty or does it feel porous? If it does, it means that the clear coating over it has been removed due to too much vigorous cleaning. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi  @EricL  Hi @Cozzy70 

Whats bunnings best product to paint over ceramic or porcelain and give it new lease on life?

Hello @Jewelleryrescue

If the sink happens to be a metallic ceramic-coated sink, I suggest looking at the White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. I recommend doing a magnet test to see if it is a metallic sink. Simply place a magnet on top of the sink to see if it will stick to its surface. Once you've confirmed that it is metallic then you can apply the tub and basin paint. 

However, a negative result means that it is made of some other material and is not compatible with the basin paint. Please note that it is important to follow the preparation instructions for the product. Failure to prepare the surface properly will result in poor adhesion.

Eric

@EricL 

Thanks Eric good to know for  future projects.

meriwantok
Just Starting Out

I usually sprinkle bicarb soda then use half a lemon to go over it. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @meriwantok,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and jumped straight in with your helpful tip to clean a porcelain sink. 

We look forward to more great tips from you. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need advice or have a great project to share. 

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects