Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean or replace kitchen rangehood?

basildill
Getting Established

How to clean or replace kitchen rangehood?

I've just moved into a place built in the late 90's and the kitchen rangehood releases a greasy/buttery smell when it's on.

I'd like to get rid of the smell before I cook in the kitchen and use the rangehood. I think it doesn't vent anywhere - it has rectangular mesh filters and when those are removed, it looks like the pictures attached. I've cleaned the filters and as much of the external parts of what's in the pictures as I can. I think there must be extra grease build up in the area up inside which I'd like to take apart and clean as well.

Any advice on taking the rangehood apart safety to clean inside? Apart from switching off the power plug.

Can anyone help me identify the part(s) pictured in the picture?

20240519_103409.jpg20240519_103415.jpgAlso, is there such a thing as a carbon filter that I can simply insert above the rectangular mesh filters for an extra layer of filtering, so oil doesn't build up up inside the part pictured? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean or replace kitchen rangehood?

Hi @basildill,

Many thanks for your question on how to clean or replace parts in a range hood.

If you are looking to remove and replace parts, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer for some guidance on this. I believe you'll be able to find replacement parts, including a charcoal filter if you google the model number, which I believe is OA412FR. They will have a parts book that can be used to identify the components of your range hood.

This range hood is a recirculating range hood, which means it does not vent to the outside of the property. This is why you are seeing a lot of grease build-up and retention of smells. A charcoal filter will assist with this build-up, but ultimately, they are not perfect and will require regular cleaning and eventual replacement.

To clean the surface grease, you can use Easy Off 325g Heavy Duty Oven & BBQ Cleaner Spray such as @jaiprak has mentioned in this previous discussion on How to replace range hood filter?

I'd also suggest a non-scratch scourer such as this Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Non-Scratch Scourer Pads would be handy for removing that stubborn grease.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with.

Jacob

basildill
Getting Established

Thanks for helping me ID my rangehood - super useful!

basildill
Getting Established

Any advice on how to go about investigating ducting outside the home, when installing a new rangehood?

Hi @basildill,

Provided that you have a cavity roof then the installation of a ducted rangehood is relatively easy for a tradesperson. The ducting extends up from the rangehood through the cabinetry and a cowling, entering the roof space. From there it gets run to an eave or wall and a vent installed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects