Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect dishwasher & washing machine to kitchen sink plumbing?

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

How to connect dishwasher & washing machine to kitchen sink plumbing?

Hello all,

So I am installing my front loader washing machine and a dishwasher under the kitchen counter (the Practa modula units), as I don't have the funds to build a dedicated laundry yet.

I have two questions;

• 1 - Inlet connections. During our reno's, the plumbers ran two copper pipes into the kitchen, which I think terminate to a 15mm (?) male thread.
    • From the hot water pipe, I need 2 outlets; 1 for the flexible hot water hose to the Mondella Matte Black Rumba Side lever Sink Mixer (I don't know how many mm's these are?), and 1 to the front load washing machine. How many mm are the washing machine and dishwasher hose female threads, typically, and is there a single tap or cock at Bunnings to connect all three?
    • From the cold water pipe, I need 4 outlets; 1 for the dishwasher, 1 for the washing machine, 1 for the Stefani under sink filter cock, and 1 for the cold water flexible hose to Mondella Sink Mixer. Is there a tap or cock which would provide the 4 outlets in one?
  • 2 - Outlet connections.
    • Currently, the sink isn't connected to the drain pipes underneath the house, I just drain the kitchen sink into a bucket. I'm thinking the Holman 50mm S&P Trap Combo Set would be a good unit to connect to my Estilo Stainless Steel Single Bowl Square Sink and provide the 2 exit connections for the waste hoses from the machines?
    • There are no holes in the bottom of the cupboard or floor for any pipe to go through, so how could I do this? If I bought a 50mm PVC plain pipe, and drill a slightly larger than 50mm hole in the bottom of the cupboard and the floor board, will the 50mm PVC pipe connect directly to the Holman trap without any other hardware?

Thanks,

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to connect dishwasher & washing machine to kitchen sink plumbing?

Hello @BoeingFan 

Due to the complexity of your plumbing request, I recommend engaging the services of a registered plumber. 

Generally, the hot water pipe will need to be split with a copper junction and extra copper pipe added. I recommend asking the plumber to install a Brasshards 15mm Chrome Loose Nut Mini Cistern Tap for the kitchen tap. For the washing machine I suggest Brasshards 20mm Chrome Loose Nut Mini Washing Machine Tap. The washing machine and dishwasher use the same sized fittings for their hose which is 20mm.

The cold line on the other hand needs to be split into four sections. I suggest using two Brasshards 15mm Chrome Loose Nut Mini Cistern Tap, one for the kitchen tap another for the water filter. For the washing machine and dishwasher, I recommend Brasshards 20mm Chrome Loose Nut Mini Washing Machine Tap.

These taps work in both hot and cold functions. The best part about this is that if there is a leak or you need to do an emergency shut off you don't have to go outside to turn off the main tap. You simply just turn the tap off under the sink.

In regards to the sink outlet the Holman 50mm S&P Trap Combo Set is perfect for your needs. It has two outlets perfectly positioned for the washing machine and dishwasher. I recommend using Craftright 5 Piece Hole Saw Set and using the 54mm set. Please remember to measure precisely where you need to cut as the biggest blade in the set is 54mm which is not a lot of room to move about. 

To cover the cut out and have a neat finish, I suggest using a Holman 50mm PVC DWV Floor Flange

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to connect dishwasher & washing machine to kitchen sink plumbing?

Perfect, thanks so much @EricL 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects