Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect dishwasher to drain pipe?

CosmoKramer
Just Starting Out

How to connect dishwasher to drain pipe?

Hi,

Looks like the old tenant just cut the dishwasher hose from drain.

Is it possible to simply connect this back up again?

20220813_102510.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: dishwasher to drain pipe

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CosmoKramer. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a dishwasher waste hose.

It appears like the barb to attach the waste hose has been cut off. Unfortunately, you'll need to replace the S trap with one that has a barb like the Caroma 50mm White Combination S And P Traps With Dishwasher Connection. That would be the most straightforward solution, as I can't think of any way to connect the hose sufficiently without the barb.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi. Can you just use a normal drill bit to put the hole in the barb for the dishwasher pipe ? 

What size is recommended? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lisa28. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a dishwasher drain pipe.

It would be best to measure the internal size of your barb hole to ensure you're using the correct sized drill bit. Typically, they would be around a 14mm inner diameter, so a 13mm drill bit should be about right with some wiggle room. You could also drill it out with a 13mm spade drill bit for a more budget-friendly option.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi There,

to connect my dishwasher drain hose to the barb I’ll have to simply drill a hole through it?  Thanks a lot,

Marek

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @slezak . It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a drain hose.

That's the ticket. Not everyone wants to connect a dishwasher, so the barb comes blocked. When you want to connect to the barb, you just simply drill it out. You'll also need a hose clamp to fix the hose fitting onto the barb.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects