Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover a gap in the ceiling?

timln
Growing in Experience

How to cover a gap in the ceiling?

hi all

We got a cabinet put in to support a new fan system above the hob, as part of some work in the kitchen.

The result was a big gap up above where the fume goes upwards 

I have done a hasty patch job to cover the gap but wondering what simple ideas could be to seal or box it off.  I am not looking for perfect or technical but a simple solution to this problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks community

Tim

IMG_20230715_085917820.jpg

Screenshot_20230715-085950.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: covering a gap in ceiling

Hi @timln,

I'd recommend you take a look at these two discussions as they cover both inside and outside the cabinet:

@Cube decided to fold their cover from aluminium sheeting, but we offer the Bellini 800mm Stainless Steel Flue Extension Kit. The kit would need to be cut to the appropriate height. You might then have enough to partially cover the duct inside the cupboard.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
timln
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell, 

I think my challenge is the cornice at the top might not lend itself to a straight fit of something like the metal sheets.

Without having to buy something and get it cut, are there any other thoughts about how to cover the gap? 

No worries if not. Thanks. Tim

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @timln

The cornice has already been cut back, and the edges of it are straight. They've removed a section to install the duct, so hopefully, the new cover will slip right in the cutout section. 

Creating a timber box to surround the duct is likely the next easiest solution. The technique used would be similar to how @JoeAzza boxed in the duct inside their cabinet.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects