Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover old extractor fan hole?

Callumoze
Just Starting Out

How to cover old extractor fan hole?

Hey everyone!

Back with my next DIY job, I’ve just replaced an old extractor fan and sadly since it was such a monster I couldn’t find a well priced replacement to cover the entirety on the old vent hole!

picture attached of what I’m working with! 

My last resort is doing a plaster patch so just wondering if anyone with a bit more creativity then me had some ideas for hiding the hole? 

so far I’m thinking I could get a piece of stainless that matches the extractor shroud and use some sort of adhesive to stick it to the roof to make it look like part of the shroud?

any tips welcomed! 

318937FA-09CC-4583-986E-0769DF71AEDF.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover old extractor fan hole?

Hello @Callumoze

Thanks for sharing your question about covering an old extraction hole. Don't despair there is a way to repair it, I suggest looking at this discussion - How to patch large gyprock hole by @RichMist. The general repair method is to place a piece of timber inside the hole and mount the repair plaster piece on the timber. You'll see what I mean when you see the illustration in the discussion I mentioned. 

You'll need to remove the stainless steel shroud temporarily and determine how much you wish to cover. But once you've carried out the repairs and painted the ceiling you can then return the shroud back into place. Just keep in mind to cover the rangehood and your kitchen with drop sheets to prevent it from being covered in plaster dust.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects