Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a marble effect for kitchen counter tops?

dbianco
Finding My Feet

How to create a marble effect for kitchen counter tops?

I've been reading up about how to paint kitchen laminate benchtops to look like marble. The advice I've seen online is that the paint doesn't matter so much, but what's important is:

* A good primer for laminate, preferably oil-based

* A high-quality sealant/topcoat, preferably resin.

I've also discovered the Dulux Duramax Marble Effects Spray Paint in black, white, and gold -- which looks like a fun way to get a fast effect.

Has anyone had experience painting countertops? Any tips or recommendations, especially for primers and topcoats?

Particularly keen to hear from anyone who's used the Marble Effects Spray Paint, especially if you can tell me how much coverage you got from a single can -- and how messy it was in real life.

I'm thinking of doing most of the marbling with a sponge, but then running the Marble Effects sparingly over the top before applying the topcoat.

Thanking you.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Marble effect for kitchen counter tops

Hi @dbianco 

Probably  the most beautifull  wow factor bench tops  you can  do are  made  from epoxy colours and it can be made to look marble like  or marble effect with your own colours.

So  try you tube  for ideas  here is one to start you  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-FgtLKC1ac

Search for table top epoxy as well some stunning  works.

Paint is  nice to and all methods  messy so use drop sheets and covers  everywhere.

Marble effects spray  paint should give you one medium to large size bench top as a guide.  I  have used similar paint effect sprays they look ok

I am not sure as to the durability of paint as a bench top as  alot goes on up there.

Bunnings has 

Rust-Oleum Diamond White Benchtop Transformation Kit 

I/N: 1370084

$249

I have used an epoxy kit . If you watch youtubes  it will show youmarbling  techniques but you will need some contrasting epoxy colour Maybe add   so gold  glitter,

There are epoxy seller in Australia the sell kits mainly for  floors but it is same principle.

Enjoy the discovery/learning  process  :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create a marble effect for kitchen counter tops?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dbianco. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about marbling effects on a benchtop.

Super-cool project! Unfortunately, with our products, you are well and truly in the world of experimentation. For example, there is no recommended topcoat to go over the Dulux marble effect spray paint or one that Dulux or I could suggest that we know will work for you. That's not to say that a clear resin wouldn't work over it; there have just been no research or compatibility tests done by the manufacturers for me to go off. You might like to check out this wonderful project: Marble-look benchtop using paint by @raceytrace 

I'm really keen to see how your project turns out.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you! Yes, that project is actually my chief inspiration for trying this. :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @dbianco, and reach out if you have more questions. I'm happy to assist, but knowing what will work and be compatible is difficult. Perhaps you might like to do a little test of the products to see how they work together before committing to the whole benchtop.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects