Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure counter top finish with Dulux renovation range

Lorraine1
Just Starting Out

How to ensure counter top finish with Dulux renovation range

B55A6970-BFE8-42FB-999C-D09574830CC3.jpeg

I've painted my counter tops 2 coats of Dulux Renovations Range -Domino.  Im about the go to the Dulux Satin Top Coat varnish for renovation range however im seeing some bad reviews for this product stating that it wastes job and leaves streaks / marks.  Has anyone used the clear top coat how long should I leave countertop to cure before applying top coat varnish or are there better spray products to use that won’t leave roller marks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: counter top \ Dulux renovation range

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lorraine1. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

You'll find streaks and marks in the topcoat varnish occur for a few reasons. A new roller needs to be used for the varnish. An adequate amount of product needs to be loaded onto the roller. The varnish is then applied in a single coat and can not be re-worked with the roller once it has been laid. The product is self-levelling and if you try to add more or go over the area once the coating has started to cure this is when you will start to see streaking.

In summary, load a new roller with plenty of topcoat, apply the topcoat to the bench in even passes with consistent light pressure and then leave it to cure. Do not go back over the area once you have laid a coating on it.

You should wait until the next day after painting the benchtop before applying the clear topcoat. Personally, I'm not aware of any other clear topcoats that would be suitable.

You might be interested in these previous discussions:

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to paint a kitchen benchtop

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc - thank you for this advice. It makes sense and I know understand what I’ve done wrong. I’ve only applied a second coat to a section of my bench, is there a way I can remove the top coat without removing the paint?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kmegan80 

I'm sorry, but once the clear coat has been applied and has cured there is no way to remove it without damaging the base coat. Did your clear coat form streaks or runs? Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your progress so far? 

I can ask the Dulux technical team if there is a way to remedy the clear coat surface. But they'll need to see the condition of your benchtop.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Kmegan80
Getting Established

IMG_3939.jpeg

IMG_3938.jpeg

Kmegan80
Getting Established

@EricL I have now attempted to coat my entire bench top and on all occasions, this has been the result. I used the advice given to complete the remaining section last night with the same result. Whilst I appreciate the advice, I wonder why the instructions from dulux differ so much. Neither method though has given me a different result. I have also sanded it back and reapplied, same result. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm so sorry to hear you've continued to have this issue @Kmegan80. What type of roller are you using? If you can link me to the exact product, that will help immensely with troubleshooting. 

I suspect there could be a few things going on that would introduce bubbles:

• If an incorrect roller, like a foam roller, instead of the 4mm fine-napped roller was used

• If the product was shaken to mix instead of stirring or if it was not mixed with a flat-bladed stirrer

• If the coat was applied over the previous without it being fully cured

• If the humidity was too high, the surface was too hot or the product was applied in direct sunlight

• If areas that have begun to cure have been touched

• If the two parts of the product were mixed more than 10 days ago.

If none of the possible causes I've listed above sounds like the issue, then I'd suggest you speak with the Dulux technical team directly, as this certainly seems like a bit of a complex case. Personally, I've never seen that quantity of bubbles in one of their clearcoats, whether it was applied as per directions or not.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

Please find the link to the roller we used. Monarch 130mm Doors Trims And Cupboards Ultra Microfibre Roller Cover - Bunnings Australia

Each time we have stirred the paint for 5 mins or more as per the instructions before use.

The photos included, only have one coat, so there is no other coat to cure. In the areas where we have applied a second coat, the final result is the same. We also did not touch it after applying it as per your instructions. 

We used air conditioning throughout the house to ensure the temperature was controlled at 23 degrees. 

The tin was only open 3 days ago. 

Hopefully I have answered all your questions. I appreciate any assistance you can give. We have spent alot time and money to have to start from scratch again. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kmegan80,

Thanks for that info. 

How long did you leave the colour paint coating before applying the clearcoat? Did you use a flat-bladed stirrer by hand?

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

We left it for 2 days. 

Yes, we did - one we recommended to purchase by the Bunnings team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects