Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend Kaboodle wall cupboards to ceiling?

rocker
Cultivating a Following

How to extend Kaboodle wall cupboards to ceiling?

Hi, my kitchen ceiling is 2.5 m high and I'd like to have cupboards to the ceiling, including the cupboard above the fridge and above the rangehood. Has anyone done this with Kaboodle cupboards, as they don't seem to have wall cupboards that high?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to extend Kaboodle wall cupboards to ceiling

Hello @rocker

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your kitchen cupboards.

The typical height of a Kaboodle pantry is 2200 mm the wall cabinets are usually lined up to this height as well. If you have a ceiling height of 2500 mm you would technically have a gap of 300mm. The only cabinet you can install in that gap is a 300 mm wall cabinet turned on its side. The drawback is that wall cabinets are oddly sized at 720mm in height. They don't come in any other sizes and they will not line up with the cabinets below them.

Before we go any further, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your kitchen? This will allow our members to assess the space in your kitchen. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. Please let us know if you need a hand posting the photos.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rocker
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your reply @EricL. It gave me really useful info. 

No point in providing a photo... I'm ripping out all the old cabinets and starting with a clean slate. It's a 57 year old kitchen!

But maybe someone out there has done something like that?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rocker

I would be more than happy to draw you a kitchen layout design. If you can provide me with the dimensions of the room, the position of the entry and exits plus the location of the windows. We can then explore the possible kitchen layouts and perhaps help you with your query about having high ceilings. 

Eric

rocker
Cultivating a Following

kitchen-laundry floor plan.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rocker

Thanks for posting those measurements, give me a few days to draw up a sample layout for you and we'll go from there.

Eric

rocker
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL , how is the drawing coming along and the 300 mm to the ceiling?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rocker 

My apologies for the late reply. Here is the initial sketch of your kitchen, you'll notice that the 300mm gap between the wall cabinet and the ceiling is not so bad. However, I forgot to ask is it a gabled ceiling or is the ceiling uniform in height? A popular technique to distract your view from the high ceilings is to install fake rafters and joists across your ceiling. These timber pieces are usually painted in either a natural wood colour or a contrasting colour to the walls.

Please have a good look at the sketch and if you wish to see it in another configuration, please let me know.

Eric

rocker kitchen1.jpgrocker kitchen2.jpgrocker kitchen3.jpgrocker kitchen4.jpgrocker kitchen5.jpg

rocker
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL for going to the effort. Yes the ceiling is uniform 2.5 m.

I can see Kaboodle does not offer the flexibility I need. I REALLY do want to hide that area to the ceiling. The reason is that I will need to run the duct from the range hood to the exterior above the wall cupboards to avoid taking up cupboard space. Definitely do not want fake joists.

I reckon a simple board can be fitted above those wall cupboards. As long as I can get the same finish in the required length. And that means I will need at least one end panel to run at the side of the fridge from floor to ceiling so 2500 long. Does Kaboodle make that?

I will also want a hidden range hood cowling, so another cupboard for that!

All advice considered and appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rocker

Thank you for adding that extra information about your proposed kitchen project. Unfortunately, Kaboodle does not have a continuous panel at 2500mm. I'm afraid you'll have to join several panels to cover the top. The other option is to build a bulkhead frame and cover it with plasterboard or MDF. 

The plasterboard can be coloured in the same finish as your wall or if you use MDF you can paint the panel in high gloss to mimic the finish on the Kaboodle doors. I've placed an updated drawing below, if you have any other changes you wish to make, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects