Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill knots and cracks in wood?

marnieruth
Finding My Feet

How to fill knots and cracks in wood?

Hi, can you suggest some ways to fill knots and cracks in wood, and what products to use?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fill knots and cracks in wood?

Hi @marnieruth,

Many thanks for your question. I imagine the answer very much depends on what you plan to use the timber for, and how you want to finish it (such as painting or oiling). I'm a fan of Timbermate wood fillers but it might not be suitable for your project. 

Could you please tell us more about your project and plans so members can provide more helpful and specific advice? 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi, I am wanting to make some grazing platter trays. There are some knots in the wood, which I would like to try and keep a natural colour. I have cleaned out the loose material in the knots and covered the backs of the boards with blue tape. I have purchased Food safe wax from Bunnings which I will use to polish them off. 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for providing those details, @marnieruth

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to offer further suggestions on how best to tackle your project. Let me also mention our ever-helpful members @Jewelleryrescue and @JoeAzza to see if they have any thoughts.

Akanksha

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @marnieruth 

you could use an epoxy resin/glue as a filler, just make sure it is non toxic and food safe, there are many choices on the web.

i found this one at Bunnings, its non toxic , but not sure if it is food safe 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pc-11-56g-white-epoxy-paste_p1560098

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @marnieruth 

My apologies for the late reply. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JoeAzza. Just to add to the suggestions made, I also recommend having a look at Protite 500g Clear Casting Embedding Fibreglass Resin aside from being used as a casting agent it can also be used to fill in knots and holes in timber tops.

Please make sure to give the resin enough time to fully cure before you begin sanding it down. If handled too early, it will deform and stick to the sanding paper. I suggest washing the surface of your grazing platter with soap and water before sealing it with food safe wax.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects