Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to find odd-sized tiles?

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

How to find odd-sized tiles?

Hey all! Kitchen Renovation is well underway and the majority of the work is complete after 3 days. During the build we've had to dig into the slab to move the waste pipe and water before being termite treated and re-concreted. Our issue is now with our kitchen tiles, we can't find them. They are 335x335 with a thickness of 10mm, does anyone know where we can grab them, or what we could do as an alternative?

314127527_647619037102163_406199355633525256_n.jpg

Would love any and all comments/ help, 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to find odd-sized tiles?

Hi @Remarka6le

I don't often run into this particular tile size of 335x335, I suggest taking the biggest sample piece that you can and seeing if you can find something similar at the store. As for the size, I'm afraid you'll have to get one that is 400x400. I recommend renting the tile cutter at the store to get a precise clean cut on the tile so that it will blend in with the rest of your tiles.

Another option is to turn that particular section into a feature. You can put in geometric shapes or a mosaic feature to disguise this particular area. The only other solution that comes to mind is to remove this particular section of the tile run and find a complimenting colour that will work with your floor tiles.     

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving and @redbournreno for their recommendation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redbournreno
Having an Impact

Hi @Remarka6le 

This is a common quandary when having to work on an existing floor area. It is a really difficult thing to deal with and the chances of finding any tile the same size is tricky, but then it will usually still look different due to grout and tile shade differences.

Search the garage, shed, roof space and under the house for any spares that may have been squirreled away.

Honestly it might be best to resign yourself to having that section different. Find new tiles the same thickness or less to fill the gap (also removing a few more oddly placed old ones). 

You may need to overlay with a new floating floor or replacing the whole floor. Sorry I can't think of a better option!

Hey @redbournreno & @EricL ,

It's a weird size indeed, I've been to 3 Bunnings, none have them and other big (and small) tiling shops have said they are discontinued, they seem to be a UK standard though, but I don't really want to import tiles over from the UK.

Searching for spare tiles was one of the first things we did, but we found nothing. Luckily my dad has every piece of equipment under the sun, including a tile cutter, so I may go down that route and just have something there in the mean time and will bring up the conversation to introduce hybrid flooring into our home to my wife.

Thank's for the advice guys :smile: 

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects