Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish a Kaboodle timber benchtop?

kristyo
Just Starting Out

How to finish a Kaboodle timber benchtop?

Has anyone bought a timber kaboodle bench top? Dis you lacquer it or how did you finish it?

thanks

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: kaboodle timber bench top

Welcome @kristyo and thanks for reaching out to the Bunnings Workshop community with your question.

@tom_builds used a Kaboodle benchtop in this kitchen project and may be able to offer advice.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @kristyo

And thanks for the tag @StevieB,

The bench I used was actually from the wooden look laminate range, however I researched the timber benchtops at the same time and they come pre-sealed. Over time they will likely need to resealed, but that should just mean a light sanding and a new coat of varnish or other sealant

I do have a wooden benchtop in my bathroom that I sealed with 3 coats of a water based polyurethane. As the bathroom is a particularly wet area I expect to have ro reseal it reasonably often (probably will do so every 6 months) but worth it for the look.

Best of luck with your kitchen reno!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kristyo

Thank you for sharing your question about the Kaboodle Timber Benchtop. It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @tom_builds. His recommendation is spot on and is exactly what I would have suggested. It can be sanded if you wish to put another type of finish or stain on it. I suggest using the Ryobi 300W Random Orbital Sander to give you a uniform finish on your top. If you are planning to change your benchtop, we would be keen to see your plans. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the start of your benchtop project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects