Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish double brick wall?

smittyboi
Getting Established

How to finish double brick wall?

I’ve removed some tiles from my kitchen durin renovations and with my new design no cabinetry or tiles will be going where they were removed and it was previously flushed, I’m just wondering what product can be used to recluse it weather I can just use plaster or should use more of a concrete/render and polish that up. Wanting a smooth untextured wall.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: flush double brick wall

Good Evening @smittyboi 

Your design sounds Interesting, would it be possible for a few pictures of the area that you are wanting an idea for? Probarly an overall shot would also help us out as well. 

Without seeing it Id jump in and suggest new plaster over the area (remove the old damaged/glues plaster first) unless the existing plaster doesnt have holes? Mmm It might be better for me to wait for a pic or two :smile: On that note I would also like to offer a warm welcome to the Bunnings community, perfect place to find out about the question you have!

Dave

smittyboi
Getting Established

I can grab a picture tomorrow, it’s an interior double brick wall, half of it is flushed with a material I’m unsure of. When tiles were removed it tore off a lot of this and I’m wanting to flush smooth to blend with the rest and wondering what product will suit best.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @smittyboi 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your brick wall.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. However, it would fantastic if you could share a picture or two of your brick walls. This will will give our members a chance to assess the material that's attached to it. We can then make recommendations on what you can do.

It sounds like an interesting kitchen renovation, I'm sure our members would be keen to see the progress you've made with your revamp. Any chance of a photo of your kitchen project would be very much appreciated as well.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
smittyboi
Getting Established

IMG_3553.jpeg

IMG_3554.jpeg

   this is the section I’m interested in flushing and having suit the rest of the wall

IMG_3552.jpeg

Hi @smittyboi

It sounds like the easiest option would be to plaster over the area. If the sheeting at the top is proud of the lower wall section and since the top sheeting would require some preparation work before it's ready to paint, removing them and re-sheeting the entire wall with new plasterboard might be best to achieve your desired level of finish. Remember your PPE, including a face mask, safety glasses and gloves. Also, be aware of asbestos in older homes wall sheeting. If you haven't had it tested or are unsure, it's best to assume it might contain asbestos until otherwise verified.

Here's a helpful guide: Covering a masonry wall Gyprock plasterboard.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @smittyboi 

Nice work so far :smile:

I would follow @MitchellMc's recomendation and remove the top and bottom (The top looks like the paper has been torn) and make it easier on yourself especially since you are redong the plaster on the walls. Cant really tell what the bottom part of the wall is? It kind of looks like bricks but I think its the left over tile impressions. If so, how did you remove them without punch the plaster! :smile:

Thank you for the photos :smile:

Dave

smittyboi
Getting Established

As I’ve said multiple times it is not plaster it is double brick and there is a layer of something over the top of it to make it flush. The paper you are seeing is existing wall paper. I’m just wondering what product is used to flush over the top of a double brick wall

Hi @smittyboi,

I think the confusion lies in the fact that just because a wall is double-brick doesn't mean it can't have plaster over it. As you mentioned above, "half of it is flushed with a material I’m unsure of", so I think we presumed that there's a good chance what looks to be sheeting above and possibly below could be plaster. Thanks for clarifying that the lower section is indeed brick. 

My advice still stands as above; it is likely best to remove the mystery material above to achieve a flat surface and then sheet the whole wall with plaster. If you don't want to remove the material above, you'll need to check its thickness and sheet the wall below with something of an equivalent thickness. If you can measure the thickness of the top material and let me know, I can have a look for a suitable material to flush it with. 

Mitchell

No there isn’t drywall over the top! I’m just asking if plaster is a suitable putty to go over where the tiles are ripped off or a different substance is recommended 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects