Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix burnt portion of kitchen laminate?

jbs20021
Just Starting Out

How to fix burnt portion of kitchen laminate?

As I mistakenly placed a hot cooker taken directly from the cooktop, on the table top, a small area was burnt. Table top is made of block wood covered by off white plywood laminate. 

I am thinking of cleaning it with emery sheet and apply glue and sprinkle off white Color powder, if any.

please advise if it will work or suggest an effective way out. Thank you so much.

4FCA2636-9136-4CD1-AA69-2A0006E763E0.jpeg

79797B72-4861-4CA9-97C9-7570D53EC25D.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix burnt portion of kitchen laminate?

Hi @jbs20021,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is wonderful you have decided to join and ask for advice about your burnt laminate benchtop. You'll find Workshop to be a great source of inspiration and advice for all things DIY and garden. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about the community. 

Our resident DIY guru @EricL will be on later today to fully assist, but in the meantime check out this article How to repair a water-damaged kitchen benchtop as it has the same principles as what you would need to do to repair yours. How To Repair a Laminate Benchtop is a great video Bunnings has made to visually help as well. I'll also tag members @Ari  and @julzdiy as they have experience working with and painting laminate. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jbs20021

My apologies for the late reply. Is the laminate surface part of your benchtop? Unfortunately, this kind of damage can only be repaired by either replacing the laminate surface with a new one or if it is a benchtop, the whole thing will need to be replaced. However, if you are after a patch job, I suggest using Ideal DIY Floors 30.5 x 30.5cm x 1.1mm Winton Self Stick Black And White Vinyl Tile in combination with Selleys 100ml Kwik Grip Horizontal Contact Adhesive.

I suggest using a Stanley knife to cut around the damaged area. Once you've removed the burnt pieces off, wash the area with soap and water to remove all the oil and grease on the laminate surface. It's important the surface of the laminate be free of dirt and debris so that when you glue the vinyl patch it will not slide away.

Using your Stanley knife cut a white rectangular piece that is larger than the damaged area. Please note that the vinyl will not be the same colour as your laminate surface. The purpose of putting the patch on is to prevent food and grease from entering the damaged area. Once the area is totally dry apply some of the contact adhesive. Although the vinyl panel already has adhesive on it the contact adhesive will provide a superior seal over the area. Please make sure to follow the instructions on how to apply the contact adhesive.

Another way to disguise the damage is to cover the front area of the stove with a white vinyl panel. In this manner, it will look like it is a protective covering for that area of the benchtop.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much Katie.

joseph

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects