Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix cockroach infestation in kitchen?

kate22har
Just Starting Out

How to fix cockroach infestation in kitchen?

Hi everyone

im trying to tackle a persistent roach infestation in a unit - and have reached the point where I need to explore underneath kitchen cupboards to see if we have a cockroach nest there. It’s quite an old kitchen - I’m guessing 35 years or so.

I’m planning to remove the kickboard to get a good view under the cupboards but wondering whether anyone has had similar experience and could offer tips about the best strategies to get access and be prepared to treat any pests we find!! I’m planning to use a suction removal method to pull out the kick board but then what 😝?!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix cockroach infestation in kitchen?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kate22har. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about controlling cockroaches.

Have you used cockroach bombs as yet? Once you reach the level of infestation, that would be the first thing to do. 

A good old-fashioned can of Raid 450g One Shot Pest Crawling Insect Surface Spray Odourless Kills Fast is going to offer you the best knockdown effect if you encounter a legion of cockroaches. Have it at the ready and spray anything that moves behind the kickboard. I'd then dose the area under there with Richgro 3L Ready To Use Ant Spider And Cockroach Killer and spray all around the house in any cracks, crevices or holes you discover. Before closing the kickboard back up, throw in a couple of Yates Home Pest Cockroach Super Baits. That will control any residual cockroaches behind the kickboards. After a week, I'd open the area back up and inspect to see if any holes can be blocked with expanding foam to prevent further insects from entering the home. It is a great filler, but it doesn't look too flash, so save it for the areas out of sight. For general filling of cracks and gaps, use Selleys 480g White 3-in-1 Silicone Sealant.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects