Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix dripping mixer tap in the kitchen?

iloveyou
Getting Established

How to fix dripping mixer tap in the kitchen?

41F0D132-01CD-4D19-9487-146155475FDB.jpeg

Hi guys,

I have a dripping mixer in the basin of my kitchen. It is a retractable mixer and the water can be adjusted. I was thinking if there is a part like a washer inside the mixer that I can change?What sort of tools I am able to take the mixer apart?

I have never fixed a mixer like this before. I will be much appreciated if anyone can give me some advices. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: dripping mixer in the kitchen

Hi @iloveyou,

There is a ceramic disc cartridge inside the tap that has likely failed and is causing the leak. The ceramic disc cartridge needs to be replaced. You'll need to start the replacement process by turning off both the hot and cold mains water to the tap. If you look under your sink, you'll hopefully find a couple of small taps that you can turn off. Once the tap is isolated, you need to find the location of the grub screw to remove the tap head. The grub screw will probably be located under the small press-on button I've marked below. Once the button is removed, it will reveal a small grub screw, and you'll need a set of Allen keys to remove it. Once the grub screw is removed, you'll be able to pull the tap head off. Unscrew the domed chrome cover nut. This will reveal a larger copper nut that needs to be unscrewed with a large adjustable wrench. Once the nut is removed it will allow access to the cartridge. Take this cartridge into your local Bunnings store, and a helpful Plumbing Expert will help you match it up. Installation is the reverse of the above.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Button.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Michelle! I took off the small button and used an Allen key to remove the grub screw. But when I tried to move the Alllen key to the right or the left, it only allowed me to move a little bit and stopped moving.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @iloveyou 

I suggest spraying the spot with WD-40 275g Multi-Use Smart Straw. This should help lubricate the grub screw, I also recommend lightly turning the grub screw back and forth until it loosens up. Calcium deposits could have built up in the threads of the grub screw preventing it from turning. Please don't force the grub screw as it could either split it or ruin the grub screw slot.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your tapware repaired.

Eric

iloveyou
Getting Established

Thank you Ericl! I did use WD-40 to unscrew it but it is still not working. now when I turned on the tap, there is only very little water comes out

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @iloveyou 

I'm sorry to hear that the WD40 did not loosen the grub screw. There are two options available to you regarding your kitchen tap. The first is to take a risk and force the grub screw out. If this does not work you'll need to use a special drill bit called Frost 5 Piece Extractor Screw Set or similar to remove the grub screw from its location. Once the grub screw is out you'll be able to take the kitchen mixer apart. Please make sure to stay safe and wear gloves and safety goggles when using the extractor set.

The second option is to engage the services of a registered plumber to either repair or replace the entire kitchen mixer. I propose passing by the store and having a look at similar pull-out gooseneck sink mixers and seeing what's available. If you're not getting any water out of your sink mixer, the odds are that the ceramic cartridge inside is damaged. 

Please let us know how you wish to proceed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

iloveyou
Getting Established

Thanks for your quick response! I probably will just get a new tap and replace a new one

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects