Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix gap appearing between cabinet and wall?

dormane
Finding My Feet

How to fix gap appearing between cabinet and wall?

Hello There, 

I got some great advice from @EricL about another matter recently so I thought I'd shoot through another question. 

I have noticed my tall pantry cabinet is gapping between the wall and the cabinet. There doesn't appear to be any changes with the other cabinets and I'm not sure if it's just the silicone/gapping coming off from between the wall and cabinet. It is also happening to my tall cabinets in my bathrooms as well. Is this just a cosmetic issue that can be fixed by DIY? 

Bathroom cabinet

1000003703.jpg

Kitchen cabinet 

1000003708.jpg

1000003710.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gap appearing between cabinet and wall

Hello @dormane 

Thanks for sharing your question about the gap near your cabinet and wall. 

It's possible that there has been movement in your internal wall which has caused the gap to appear. Or as you surmised the silicone has given way. The good news is that it can be replaced. I propose using a Monarch Caulk & Sealant Remover, this tool should be sharp enough to pick up the old silicone and allow you to clean up the gap.

I recommend using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler or similar to fill up the gap. The water-based formulation has been designed to cope with building movement to ensure a long lasting and crack resistant finish.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone seal a bath (the techniques used area applicable to your repair project)

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects