Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix noisy kitchen taps?

Jus-tryin
Finding My Feet

How to fix noisy kitchen taps?

Replaced our kitchen taps a few months ago when previous old set bit the dust.  So new spindles, tap handle, washers etc.  Since then the taps make a loud and varying squeal when they are turned on - (can be demonstrated in a video that I tried to attach but platform says I do not have permission).  Have tried changing the washers, putting thread tape around washer spindles to better seat them in the spindle hole, turning water main off and removing any possible air pocket, putting vaseline on the spindle thread to make the tap turn smoothly and potentially reduce vibration.  None of these have addressed the issue. Also removed the filter on the end of the tap spout, and running taps without the filter, as well as cleaning and replacing the filter - neither of these fixes worked.

The noise seems very much located around the taps.  I have felt the pipes under the sink when the taps are running and noisy and there does not seem to be any vibration.  

The noise disappears when taps are turned beyond about a and eigth or a quarter turn - so at lower pressures.  Oh - and I have also tried adjusting the pressure at the mains - without any effect.

Any ideas of the problem and a solution?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Noisy Kitchen Taps

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jus-tryin. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about squealing taps.

You've obviously done your research and covered most of the reasons and remedies for screeching taps. At this stage, I would suggest that the best solution would be to return the taps and try a different set. It could be some type of fault with the product, or you might have just had bad luck with that set. I'd recommend you try a slightly different style than your current set. I can't imagine there is much more that you can try to resolve the issue. If these taps were purchased from us, then I'd be more than happy to contact the store you purchased from and let them know you'll be in to return them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Noisy Kitchen Taps

Thanks Mitchell

Have just found my receipt and I think swapping might be the trick.  Challenge we had at the time was that there was little choice on the shelves.  Will head back to the Myaree store in WA to swap them.

Appreciate the quick response.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects