Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get a gloss top coat on kitchen benchtop?

Kelldo
Just Starting Out

How to get a gloss top coat on kitchen benchtop?

I painted my laminated kitchen benchtops with Dulux renovation range a few years ago, but recently decided to use Dulux granite effect spray paint to spruce them up.  Because the granite effect spray leaves a rough, textured finish, I then used White Knight Clear Bench Top Protective Coating to seal it before sanding it back to smooth with the new granite effect remaining in place. I'm now looking for advice on what I can use as a clear, gloss top coat to finish the job. The white knight protective coating paint didn't really seem to leave the finish that I'm looking for so I don't plan to use any more of it but now I'm looking for advice on the best product to use  to get a nice clear, gloss top coat that will also be durable and non-yellowing.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gloss top coat for kitchen benchtop

Hello @Kelldo 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about putting a gloss coating for your bench top. 

Technically, mixing and matching different branded products is not recommended as there is no guarantee that they will work together. Generally, I would probably have contacted Dulux Trade Info to find out if the Dulux 1L Renovation Range Clear Coat Gloss is compatible with the Dulux Granite spray paint.

At this point I suggest to temporarily pause from putting any coating on top of your benchtop. Allow me to get more information about paint compatibility. As soon as I get more information, I'll get back to you. 

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get a gloss top coat on kitchen benchtop?

Hi @Kelldo,

I apologise for the delay in our reply.

There's a fair bit to unpack there. Unfortunately, as my colleague @EricL has alluded to, it's very hard to recommend solutions when multiple product brands have been used. Even if we removed the White Knight product from the equation, the Dulux granite effect spray paint is not a product suitable for benchtops, and the Dulux Renovation range clear coat is only designed for going over Renovation range products. 

At this point, there are too many untested products that have been used together on the benchtop, and the only option would be to sand what is on the benchtop off and go with a method that is recommended by the product manufacturers. However, there's no granite effect paint available for benchtops. If you wished to continue the experiment then you could try the Dulux 1L Renovation Range Clear Coat Gloss but it's certainly not something recommended by the supplier and would be at your own risk.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects