Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of marks on benchtop?

mtd
Finding My Feet

How to get rid of marks on benchtop?

After I washed my dishes I put them on top of a microfibre cloth to dry and then when I lifted it up the next day it left these marks and im not sure what kind of marks/stain they are but it looks like the outlines of the plates and cups. I’ve tried everything to remove the stain from baking soda/water mixture to gumption but it’s really hard to fix when i don't know what kind of marks/stains it is. Please helpppp

image.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to get rid of plate/cups marks on benchtop

Hi @mtd 

Try  in  a test area some bleach and see if it lightens the stain.  Given you already  tried gumption.

Strange  marks.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @mtd,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us.

Can you please tell us what your benchtop is made from? It will help ensure our members provide the appropriate advice.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mtd
Finding My Feet

Hi Jason, 

I’m only renting so I’m not sure exactly what is made from but i can see wood underneath so maybe laminate sheet? I’ve attached some more photos for reference. 

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1830.jpeg

  

I will give this a try and let you know. Thanks 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mtd 

Thanks for sharing those extra photos of your benchtop. It looks like there was some sort of chemical reaction that occurred while the dishes were drying off. I propose using traditional cleaners such as Glitz Green 2L Cleaning Vinegar with Glitz 1kg Green Bi-Carb Cleaner.

I propose a mix of 1/2 cup of Bi-Carb and 1 cup of cleaning vinegar. Apply it to the affected surface and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Please do not be alarmed there will be bubbling occurring when you mix the Bi-Carb and vinegar. Use a soft toothbrush in a swirling motion to clean the stains. 

Rinse the area with clean water and see if it removed the stain. Please let me know if it works, but if it does not remove the stains, I will have to suggest something else.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your repairs.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects