Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Kaboodle drawer units in cabinet?

leamary
Growing in Experience

How to install Kaboodle drawer units in cabinet?

I'm just starting out on putting together my Kaboodle kitchen. It has a lot of drawer units and have already run into a couple of problems. I'm going for the metal sided drawers. Firstly the paper template for marking out the holes for the drawer runners is not accurate. Normally when a hole is required, the measurement is to the middle of the hole. On two templates the 37mm in from front actually measures to the rear of the hole. So if I drill directly to the centre of the hole indicated, my drawer fronts don't actually meet up with the front of the cabinet. They sit proud by 1-1.5mm.

Another problem is a weird little tab on each side at the rear of the sides for the drawer. If I don't hammer it in to the side of the base of the drawer then the drawer sides will sit out by about 1.5-2mm at the back on both sides. Does anyone know if I can just nip the tabs off? Tech guy at kaboodle said just to hammer them into the drawer but I'm worried about splitting the chipboard. Thanks everyone. Hope to get this problem sorted.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Annoying tab on metal drawer sides

Good Evening @leamary 

Man I remember banging my head at first when I was putting together my Kaboodle kitchen :smile: And yeah I really wanted to headbutt the brick wall.

The kitchen draws I had were timber but the process is the same. "Trust the plans" When I flipped my mindset from presuming/knowing what to do and followed the plans exactly like a robot, all of a sudden things went together as the plans said they should.

That said I did make multiple trips to Bunnings Kitchens and looked and looked again plus talked to staff about why part A wasnt Fitting to Part C. 

You probarly have looked at the plans numerous times, My suggestion to myself is "Step away for a hour or so" come back when I am not frustrated and start Fresh (as in from step one)

Dave

leamary
Growing in Experience

Thanks Dave but I did do it exactly as the plans indicate. The problem is that if I follow the template exactly, the back of the front drawer panels will not meet the cabinet. The metal side drawers are different as are the runners to timber ones. Still wondering if I can just nip the little point off on the metal sides.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @leamary 

😕 Bugger. Id suggest to wait for one of the Bunnings people to come along, they really do know a lot more and will chase the solution for you. @MitchellMc for sure will be able to help you on the right path. or one of the other members that stroll through here :smile: Hopefully you can wait a little with your draws.

Dave

leamary
Growing in Experience

Thanks Dave for your input. Hopefully there will be someone out there with some answers...

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to install Kaboodle drawer units in cabinet?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @leamary. We're delighted to have you join our wonderful community of D.I.Y. enthusiasts who are sharing creative projects and exchanging handy D.I.Y. tips on the site every day. 

Thanks for your question. As @Dave-1 mentioned, our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to assist as soon as he can. It's currently a busy time on the site with lots of members asking questions so we sincerely do appreciate your patience and apologies in advance for any delay in responding.

Let me also tag experienced members @Jewelleryrescue and @CSParnell in case they have any thoughts in the meantime.  

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @leamary,

I've contacted Kaboodle with the information you've supplied, and I am unable to ascertain whether the information you've been provided is the best course of action. If you can please link me to the product you are trying to install and take a picture of this tab you're having issues with, that will give me a much better idea of what could be causing the issue. Once I have those details and the image of the tab, I'll contact Kaboodle back and get this sorted. Let me know if you need a hand uploading an image.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
leamary
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell. Thanks for that. I'll take a pic today and upload.

leamary
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell

This is the link to the metal sided drawer https://www.bunnings.com.au/kaboodle-450mm-metal-sided-soft-close-drawer_p2667701

I've uploaded a pic of the tab that sticks out to the inside of the drawer side. Unless it is hammered into the side of the base of the drawer it puts the drawer out of square and the screw holes under the base don't line up properly because of it.

IMG20240106123515.jpg

IMG20240106123535.jpg

IMG20240106124615.jpg

leamary
Growing in Experience

Here's a couple more pics with the drawer gently clamped together showing back and front of drawer and underside. 

IMG20240106125802.jpg

IMG20240106125822.jpg

IMG20240106125704.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects