Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Kaboodle hinge on existing cabinet?

AnnieOzi
Growing in Experience

How to install Kaboodle hinge on existing cabinet?

We've bought the following hinge to install from scratch on an existing non-caboodle kitchen cupboard and door. Do you have a template or measurements for us to drill the round hole ourselves in the existing door as well attaching plates inside the cupboard. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kaboodle-soft-close-door-hinge-1-pair_p2662006

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to install Kaboodle hinge on existing cabinet?

Good Afternoon @AnnieOzi 

I had a quick look at how to videos as the hinge you have choosen needs to be recessed. I found this video on how to mount that type of hinge

Easy install concealed hinges 

Ive also include a link on adjust the doors as I always have trouble remembering how to :smile:

How to adjust cabinet doors 

Hope these help. Id be cautious when you are drilling the recessed hole but the video is using a jig so that would limit the depth.

Dave

AnnieOzi
Growing in Experience

Great thanks, Dave. Now I just need to find out how much to offset hinge cup from edge of door for particular hinge type that I buy. Either Kaboodle or Hafele. Hopefully packaging or item download documentation will help. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AnnieOzi

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing Kaboodle hinges.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using Kreg Concealed Hinge Jig or Hafele Hinge Mounting Kit. Both cutting jigs have guides included with them, but it is best to follow the cutting instructions for the type of hinge you purchase.  

If you can tell us the model number of the hinge you'll be purchasing, we'll be more than happy to locate the mounting instructions for you.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AnnieOzi
Growing in Experience

Thanks, Eric, 

This is is such a wonderful community!

The model number of Kaboodle hinge is W-50311

Would be great if you could locate the cutting and mounting  instructions.

Regards Annabel

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AnnieOzi 

Thanks for sharing that information. I'm passing by the store tomorrow and I'll get you the measurements you need.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

AnnieOzi
Growing in Experience

Thanks, Eric. Would be great if you could find measurements of cutting and mounting instructions for Kaboodle hinge W-50311 

It's a pity there isn't a pic of the hinge with those details on the webpage as well as a download. There is only a pic of the hinge. 😏

Would be great if you could locate the cutting and mounting instructions.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AnnieOzi 

Thank you for your patience. The Kaboodle technical team has sent me the following measurements. From the top of the cabinet door to the center of round hinge cutout is 134.5mm. The same distance is applied to the bottom hinge from the bottom of the door. The center cut out is 22.5mm from the side edge of the door. The cut out is 12mm deep and is 35mm in diameter.

I've done some measurements at the store and have sketched them up for you to look at. I suggest doing a test fitting on off cut timber to get a feel on how the hinge is supposed to fit. Please keep in mind that the hinges have adjustment features integrated into it, hence I don't recommend changing the recommended drilling points.  

If you've purchased the Hafele Hinge mounting kit, you'll notice that it has a guide plate included with it. I suggest using it when you try out your test fitting on the off cut timber.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

AnnieOzi
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much, Eric. I'll go and buy hinges and Hafele mounting kit tomorrow. I notice the Hafele download diagram mentions centrepoint/centre cut out is 23.3 from edge of door compared to your 22.5.

https://delivery.bunningscontenthub.bunnings.com.au/api/public/content/a6d733c34a5e48c4a8c0953167d4a...

As you say there is adjustment on cabinet side. 

Screenshot_20230803_202646_Kindle.jpg

You've given me the confidence to tackle the kitchen cabinet now. I might also tackle laundry one as well!   But..... after I make my flyscreens! Bought all the parts - framing, corners, spline, mesh, mitre box and hacksaw. Thank goodness for Bunnings! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AnnieOzi 

Please keep us in the loop and remember to do some test fittings first before you commit to the actual installation.

If you need more advice or information, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects