Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a shelf in a pantry?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to install a shelf in a pantry?

I want to install two shelves in my pantry to house my spice jars which will be placed horizontally like the ones in the left side of the attached photograph.  The width of the shelving only needs to be 10cm deep and the width of the length of the wall is 100cm.  I would like two shelves placed from the top of the wall, so this leaves plenty of room underneath for other things.    What type of wall do I need and what type of supports?

pantry.jpg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing a shelf in a pantry

Hello @ennoh

Thank you so much for sharing your question about adding shelves to your pantry.

Looking at the picture you posted, there is definitely room to add more shelves. I recommend using Tasmanian Oak DAR 90 x 18mm 1.2m Porta. It can be cut in the middle to make two 600mm length shelves. However, if you wish to use the entire length of the pantry side you will have to get a longer piece of timber. 

I suggest using Carinya 70 x 70 x 20 x 2mm White Round Angle Bracket - 8 Pack to hold the shelf in place. I've attached a basic drawing for the layout. Please note that the measurements for the spacing are just recommendations, please adjust them to your needs.

Here is a handy link to a discussion about herb storage: Kitchen herb storage ideas

Let me tag our experienced member @JoeAzza for his recommendations.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your new shelves installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ennoh
Building a Reputation

Re: Installing a shelf in a pantry

Thanks Eric!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects