Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a spice rack behind pantry door?

monty
Finding My Feet

How to install a spice rack behind pantry door?

just moved in to our newly built home and the wife needs things:

1) spice racks to be installed behind the pantry door.

2) hooks to be installed behind hallow doors, ie, walk-in robe, bathroom, etc.

what is the best way to do this with an anchor? what type of anchor?spice rackspice rackdoor hooksdoor hooks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: spice rack

Hello @monty 

Congratulations on the move to your new home! First order of business is to find out how thick the pantry door is. I'm being conservative here and guessing that it's around 16mm thick. You also need to look at the thickness of the wire basket which I think is around 3mm thick. 

Any screw that you use will loose 3mm to the thickness of the wire basket. Hence, a 15mm screw will only have a usable length of 12mm. A 10mm screw will only have 7mm. Make sure to be aware of this when you purchase your screws. 

Screw head size is also a factor. The wire basket has two dimples in it for you to position the screws in. If the screw head is too small, it will fall out. A counter sunk head is also not ideal as it will squeeze the wire out of shape instead of holding it in place. I suggest having a look at the Zenith 8G x 15mm Galvanised Button Head Stitching Timber Screws.

My number one tip is to drill pilot holes into the back of the pantry door so as not to crack the melamine surface cover at the back of the pantry door. 

For the robe hook I suggest using a Ramset 6 x 38mm Universal Anchor - 6 Pack. It should anchor the robe hook nicely on to the hollow door.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects